Getting started making lures

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Getting started making lures

Postby Jaxom » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 am

I'd like to get started making my own stick bait lures like Rapala's. Like many other fellow American's I'm unemployed and am on a VERY tight budget. I'm not expecting to make a gazzillion lures for nothing, I do know it will take some investment in both time and money. But reciently, after taking a break from I'd like to ask that I haven't found and answer to having read as many old threads as possible.

Let's assume I've already purchased Alumilite's High strength #2 1lb silicone mould kit, thier Alumilite white 28oz kit, and 1lb of synthetic clay. The first lures I wish to make I'd be using a Rapala F11 (4 3/8" long) as a master. Eventhough you've an online calcuator, I'm not sure how to compensate for the tapper of the lure and the diving bill. How many lures could I expect to make from this? After making a bunch of these, I'd like to make the next two largers sizes as well. The F13 and F18. These are 5 1/4" and 7" respectivily. Would I have enough HS #2 to make two part moulds for these as well?

Speaking of moulds. It was alluded to, that sculpty or super sculpty could be used to make a two piece mould. For the life of me I cannot figure out how this would be done, concidering it's the properties of the silicone that won't stick to the synthetic clay that make it possible to make a two part mould. Comment?

On painting... I read alot about this, but I'm still not sure diffinetivly whether acryclic paints can be used on Alumilite white. Most threads speak of ordering from other luring making websites. Trying to save a few dollars, I pass by the hobby shop where I will be purchasing all my Alumilite products from. And they carry paints by Testors, Heller, ect. Also, on close inspection of the few stick lures I already own, it seems Rapala, Heddon, all used something simlar to the minnow body "rope". How do you paint this???

I really like the idea of using dust to "paint" the mould before pouring the plastic. As much as I would love to get an airbush setup, even an inexpensive one from Harbor Frieght is $90! The problem again is cost. Alumilite offers 32 different colors, if I would order 1 of each, it'd cost $114 not including shipping. What colors would you concider manditory? (too bad they don't offere a break for ordering the whole set!) Same could be said for the metalic powders as well.

Since I've mentioned that an airbrush set up is out of budget, so would be a vaccum pump for off gassing. I understand that I don't need this, but it is recommended to brush apply the HS #2 to the master so as to prevent any bubbles from forming. For most hobby applications like using gorrilla glue in wood working or such, I like using those toss away ones you commonly find in the plumbing department at Home Depot for applying flux prior to soldering copper pipes. Would these be okay to use?

As I undestand it I can use some tungsten powder to weigh down any lures I make. But is there any chart or such that would help me make suspending lures or count down ones?

On a final note for now. I've been fishing for 30+ years now. Save for a few years that I mentioned earlier. During this time I've caught just about every species of fish native or otherwise in my part of the country. (Midwest...Chicago suburbs). But one species alludes me, and that's Walleyes/Saugers. I notice that many of the modern day lurers have some sort of rattle inside them. How would I go about adding that to any lures I make? I would assume it would have to be centered somehow so as not to muck with the lure's action. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jax
Jaxom

Re: Getting started making lures

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Here is what I would recommend. If you know you are going to make two piece molds, use the Quick Set silicone rubber and not the High Strength 2 as it locates much better because it is stiffer. I'd also recommend 2 lbs of Alumilite's Synthetic modeling clay. This is easier, cheaper, and is more reuseable than the Sculpey. Alumilite White for your resin and microballoons to add some bouyancy to the lure.

Make a two piece mold similar to the steps used in making the 2 piece Swim Whiz how to on www.makelure.com

You may be able to get two different two piece molds out of your 1 lb of Quickset but would more than likely need at least a 2nd lb to do the larger sizes. The easiest way to tell how many lures you can make is do a simple water displacement test or better yet, pour the first one and even if you waste a little, weigh it and you'll pretty much have an exact weight for everyone there after. I'm guessing they are not even a fluid oz which would give you a minimum of 36 of them if you only used 25% microballoons which would be pretty close to nuetrally bouyant.

Testers and other like acrylic paints work great for painting Alumilite. Tips for painting are either painting the mold, allow it to dry, then cast your part which allows the resin to chemically bond to the paint and you pull out a painted part. The other option for the best chemical adhesion is paint the part fairly soon after demolding.

We are working on a set for 1 of each powder ... pricing is $85. So there is a price break. If you are on a budget, I'd highly recommend simply purchasing the 6 or so colors you tend to favor and use.

Any type of brush typically works fine as long as you don't loose foam or hair from the brush that could lay on your part.

Specific gravity chart is coming but I can tell you a rule of thumb is approx 25-35% microballoons by volume (depending on terminal tackle) will make the lure suspend.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making