using my soft bait mold kit

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

using my soft bait mold kit

Postby jsanders » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

Man this is fun!!! Mike and Larry, y'all have done a great job with this. I always worry about screwing something up but this is perfect, premeasured and complete. I broke out the modeling clay yesterday and used about half then last night used the rest while watching tv. I even let my wife do some and they look good. I just poured the silicone into the mold forms. I had a good bit left over so I glued down another bait and hot glued the walls down and still had time to use it. Don't wanna waste!! It's great also because you don't have to mess up any cups (yet). I can't wait till tomorrow to see how these look!!

I've been making bass lures and flies for a long time, 40ish years, and haven't gotten this excited since I found flashabou. I forgot to do my frog mold so I've got to get online and order some more clay and silicone.

Thanks y'all
John Sanders
Work is for people who can't fish
jsanders

Re: using my soft bait mold kit

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 am

Sounds great John. Please post some pics of your creations.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby jsanders » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:37 pm

I will post photos sometime this week. I think I poured a little too early. Not lumpy, just not like water and it didn't fill all the spaces in the mold. I'm gonna do some more later or tomorrow. I'm not much for being precise so I didn't use a thermometer but I will next time so I can get a baseline to go by. Really cool colors though - I did 1 drop yellow with red flake and experimented with the alumidust. Red looks great. - 2 drops black, pearl powder and silver flake and last but now least, blue with green flake. I used a little softener on 1 batch and really liked it. I'm going to try doing a jerk bait with a good bit of hardner in it soon.

The dye is hard to get out by the drop. Should I do like LD and use a stick and dip a little? I'm worried the top will come off the bottle and it will go all over the place. Hell, I gotta go fishing tomorrow...

Thanks
John Sanders
Work is for people who can't fish
jsanders

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 am

The dyes only have an extremely small hole in it to avoid leaking when shipping. Simply cut the tip down. The further you cut it down, the bigger the hole similar to a tube of caulk.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making