Alumilite question

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumilite question

Postby ShutUpNFish » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:22 pm

Hey Larry,

I'm currently making my own resin cranks for muskies and I'm finding that when I cut of the excess ends of the lure (since its poured verticle) there will be small holes that cannot be sanded out. I'm planning on just filling them with plastic putty....However, I watched your last show where you made the clear outer head around a fishhead used for Marlin. You let the mold cure inside some sort of pressure chamber device. Would this sort of device work to get all the bubbles out of the alumilite white as well? And will it cause the bait to be heavier since the bubble will all be out, or does that not mess with the overall density of the wood.....

Lastly, I'd like to post a photo of my latest lure, but don't know how...is there a way to do that here?

Thanks!

Paul
Visit us at: www.bdfishermanspub.freeforums.org
ShutUpNFish

Re: Alumilite question

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Great question. Yes, the pressure pot crushes bubbles. And also yes, you can do an insert in any mold with the intent of making it either more or less buoyant.
It might be a tiny bit heavier, but it could be compensated for with few more balloons.
You should be able to post on the makelure.com site. if not drop them an email. would love to see what you're working on!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:05 am

Here is where you post a pic to the lure photos ... http://www.makelure.com/Lures.cfm

Look forward to seeing them.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:40 pm

It is true that when you add microballons that the Alumilite White expands, or foams, a very small amount after it is poured. The amount is so small that it impacts the final density little, but some.

Do what Larry said and all will be well.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making