using the putty to make multiple cavity molds

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

using the putty to make multiple cavity molds

Postby jsanders » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I want to make a jig mold with a bunch of cavities, 8 or 10. should I sculpt 1, make 10 baits and pour the mold stuff over the 10 OR make 10 out of clay and pour over them? while I'm typing, while I have been here reading this afternoon I just watched a seaplane take off in front of the house. You don't see that much in central alabama!!!!

can you use the bubbles in soft plastic and resin?

I am ready to fish.

J
John Sanders
Work is for people who can't fish
jsanders

Re: using the putty to make multiple cavity molds

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Personally, it depends on how much you want each bait to be exact. I prefer to sculpt or carve a master, then make several baits once I have a perfect master, then use these baits to make a multiple cavity mold. Still, if sculpting will get you close enough, you can skip a step.

I have used the micro balloons in the soft plastic. It kind of turns it white, or cloudy, and it is not as soft as before, but I have a slop bait I made for tiger muskie that I used micro balloons in the head to float a super large and heavy hook, so it will work.

Which product to you mean by resin?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby jsanders » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 pm

alumilite? I'll have a boatload more questions so I appreciate the patience.
John Sanders
Work is for people who can't fish
jsanders

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Most people use the Alumilite White or the RC-3 for their resin of choice when making hard baits. The White is a little more cosmetic however the RC-3 is a little stronger and has a higher heat resistance which is normally overkill for lures. The RC-3 is also a light tan color. I mention it in case color is an issue.

Microballoons can be added up to 100% by volume to dramatically increase the bouyancy of your lure.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making