Suggestions for making Hard Foam Floats (bobbers)

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Suggestions for making Hard Foam Floats (bobbers)

Postby tseliosbrad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 am

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum and was in aaawww when my friend Showed me the video's that Larry had of his workshop. The video's are so detailed and helpful that I have to give this Molding stuff a shot...

I turn Floats (Bobber's) for Steelhead fishing out of Balsa Wood on a Lathe and everybody loves em but I don't like working with it because of how soft it is, filling the pores, sealing it, painting, ease of finding cheap goodgrade Balsa and its too Time consuming... I just don't like it. I want something more durable and something that floats better, something I don't need to put on a lathe or drill a perfectly straight hole in and I want to make more for less money that are all the exact same size.

I want to make a Mold to hold a 1/16 fiberglass rod (maybe bigger) so that the rod is perfectly in the center of the foam, I was looking at the 2 videos that Larry has of the"Wopper Plopper part 1" and I'll probably have to make the mold like the video 'Making Jointed Swim Whizzes" because I need 2 mold halves... I think.

I was thinking of doing Alumilite White for the outer skin and 610 foam for the interior of the Float. Will the Alumilite White weigh down the float too much? What is the Buoyancy like compared to Good grade Balsa Wood? Any other Suggestions to steer me in the right direction because I have no clue where to start with this mold making stuff haha.

I take too much pride in my work, I have to push myself be the Best at Everything I make with my hands (self gratification)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated and tight lines everyone!
tseliosbrad

Re: Suggestions for making Hard Foam Floats (bobbers)

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:25 am

Our 610 foam is almost the same specific gravity as balsa. Not knowing just how large or what shape your floats are it's hard to say, but I would suggest making a one piece mold and coating the floats with an epoxy clear, or dyed epoxy.
We'll be posting a specific gravity chart (compliments of anglingarcher) that converts specific gravity of various woods to urethanes/microballoon ratios and various foam. Once you get your process figured out I think you will be amazed at how easily, quickly and cheaply you can crank these out!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby tseliosbrad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 am

Now I just have to browse the products to see what I need, Thanks for the Help
tseliosbrad

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:32 pm

I'd recommend making two piece molds with QuickSet silicone and slightly overpouring the 610 Foam into your mold with a small vent which will pack the material into the mold and allow you to achieve an even higher density foam which will give you an even better surface. Then coat as Larry mentioned.

Things I'd suggest: Few lbs of our synthetic modeling clay, 5 lbs of QuickSet to make a multiple cavity mold (gang mold), and as much 610 Foam as you wish to make your floats.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Postby tseliosbrad » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 pm

I'll try both techniques out and let you guys know later on how it worked out. Thanks alot for the info guys
tseliosbrad

Return to Lure Making