Soft plastic molds

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Soft plastic molds

Postby Cat5Lures » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Larry
I currently make offshore trolling lures and bass lures. I have a soft plastic design that I cant decide which mold design would be the best in respect to capturing all the dynamics of the lure, and ease of removal of them from the mold. The lure is cylindrical in shape, with legs and appendages. I have looked at all of your videos( love them all great job) and I think a two piece would be the best route in order to capture everything that is going on with this lure. With this style of mold work for soft plastics? Or maybe suspend the blank and leave a pour hole and vent? Thoughts! Thanks Larry

SL
Cat5Lures

Re: Soft plastic molds

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 am

Without seeing what you're talking about it's hard to say. I commonly use two piece molds when making soft plastic. If I have trouble filling the appendages sometimes I'll "over pour" them then squish the mold shut.
Other options might be to vent the appendages, use an injector, and make sure to heat up the mold before pouring.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Soft plastic molds

Postby Cat5Lures » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks Larry. You by far have the most helpful information available. Tight lines

SL
Cat5Lures

Return to Lure Making