Help!!! - Wiggley type bait

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Help!!! - Wiggley type bait

Postby Wahoo61 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Trying this again. I made a few Wiggley type baits. Had a lot of fun getting color combinations and the right shades. Could not test the bait until today when the ice melted. ARGHHHHHH! Bait would not track on retrieve straight. I used the Owner Twist Lock Centering pins and they are centered correctly. The bait would work as a jerk bait, but not exactly what I was looking for. It has great action, but spins on retrieve. I suspect I need to weight the bait, but I don't recall Mr. Wiggley having weight. I thought of trying to put an insert in to test the theory and then use the tungsten powder if that corrects the problem. In any event, I was looking for some advice on how to fix it. I guess the good news is that if I have to start over, I can melt down the old baits and make new ones. Thanks again. Lee.
Wahoo61

Re: Help!!! - Wiggley type bait

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

might be hook position also. mess with nose up down, right left.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wahoo61 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks Larry, just to clarify, do you weight Mr. Wiggley so I should do that as well? Second, did you mean adjust the location of the centering pin when you were talking about up, down, right, left? I did not have a hook, I planned on fishing it with the treble and rigged through the eye. I was just testing it out. Thanks as always.
Wahoo61

Postby hooks40 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:20 am

My experience is that with the treble stuck in the underside of the bait, it acts as a keel, keeping the bait upright. Still I have issues with the bait going sideways at high speeds. The tungsten powder looks like a good solution but complicates the pouring process. I am going to try inserting a nail (of various sizes) into the belly of the bait to effect the same weighting.

Looking forward to the "Advanced Wiggly" video. I've got my goop and the workshop is clean (for now)
hooks40

Return to Lure Making