high gloss master

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

high gloss master

Postby wicked » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:13 am

If I'm making my master from sculpy how do I get the high gloss finish?Also if I want to add a tail rotor or head rotor would I need to add them in before I bake the sculpy?Thanks for the help guys. Russ
wicked

Re: high gloss master

Postby ajelstein » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 am

Not Larry here but perhaps i can help. For a smooth finish i'd suggest you sand the cured sculpy till the surface is nice and smooth, then hang it (put a screw eye in the blank) and spray it with a glossy polyurethane. As for a prop, I would need more info to be much help but you probably would want to add the shaft it will spin on before you bake the sculpy, but you could drill a hole for it after you bake the sculpy if you prefer.

Regards,

Andy
ajelstein

Postby wicked » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am

Hello Andy, Thanks for answering another of my questions.I will be trying it out tonight.I've got my sculpey all formed the way I want already.I'll add in the main shaft and cook it up.I did't think of sanding it after I just knew he's got finger prints all over it right now.I was reading about the alumidust and am real excited to order some and try painting my baits that way.Thanks again Russ
wicked

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 pm

after baking, you can get sculpy really smooth with fine sandpaper. you can then do a light misting or two with lacquer to get it really glossy. You want to have a pin in each end to hold it.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making