Tail body/taper on Wiggley Type Bait

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Tail body/taper on Wiggley Type Bait

Postby Wahoo61 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for the earlier thoughts on length on wiggley. I took a shad body and molded a tail on a rod stuck into the soft plastic (Storm bait with a blade on the back). My thought was that if I made the tail taper( from the main body down to the actual tail fins) about half the size of the main body, it would give the tail alot of action. However, given how we all know your wiggley performs, the action it produces, and the taper seems to be very slight in terms of size from the head to the tail of the bait, I wondered if you had any thoughts before I commit to a mold cast. As always, many, many thanks for the show and your assistance on the wide variety of topics you address. Lee.
Wahoo61

Re: Tail body/taper on Wiggley Type Bait

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:24 am

In addition to exact shape, there are so many variables it's hard to say. How stiff, how thick, balance etc.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Tail body/taper on Wiggley Type Bait

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am

Flexibility is probably the biggest one for the whiggley's performance that I've poured. I think Larry has mentioned his formula before but which is similar to what I tend to use which is 4 to 5 parts of Alumisol to 1 part of Softener. Typically tungsten is also used in the front belly/head area to add some weight.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making