Flex 30

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Flex 30

Postby Caja » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Casted first round of flex 30 for some lure with tails. Does the flex 30 become durable within the first 24-48 hours of curing. If not, I think I might need to move up to the flex 40. I need a material that is soft and flexible like leather that will hold up to some hard fishing. Would a fiber type material casted inside the flex 30 make it more durable?
Caja

Re: Flex 30

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Great questions. Couple things ... yes a flexible mesh fabric works wonders inside the Flex systems regardless of the hardness version you choose. It hads a ton of durability. I've been using some in Alumisol which also works great. Think of the kind of mesh fabric used in a dirty clothes bag. Most fabric stores have these types of fabric you can buy for a $3-$6/yard. Definitely worth while.

You are also correct on the full cure schedule of the Flex systems. Especially when pouring thin or small pieces, it is very important to preheat your mold to allow the material to generate the heat it normally does on its own in thicker sections, to help it cure properly. If you are pouring thin tails in room temperature molds, the Flex systems can take a very long time to cure and sometimes never reach their full phyical hardness or properties. Post curing the systems after pouring also helps the Flex systems cure thoroughly and much quicker. Post cure temperatures recommended are between 120-150F for an hour. Then allow it to cool prior to demolding and using.

Hope this info helps and good luck with your tails.
Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Re: Flex 30

Postby Caja » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 am

Mike, thanks for info called the 800 number great customer service and tech. support. It is winter here and my workshop is about 55 degrees and needs some work. I have a small oven, rated for 160, working on getting small microwave. Tenn. TV show was great, I live about three hours for that lake and have several good muskie fisheries with 15min.-1hour drive. Checkout Facebook.com then FoothillsAngler.
Caja

Return to Lure Making