How to get the right Alumisol mix for Fresh or Saltwater

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

How to get the right Alumisol mix for Fresh or Saltwater

Postby SLT Fishing Products » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:27 am

I have been buying my Soft Plastic through other sources and was wondering how to get the right one for me by using Alumilites brand. I have heard it is tougher and was wondering what mix ratios of softener or hardener could be used. And how is the heat stability of the product? Does it need a heat stabilizer when heated by stove or production pot? I first used Alumilites HS 2 and 3 to make my first molds and I am very satisfied with my production molds thus far great product. I can not wait to try out the Plastic you have to offer. And also just wanted to mention I love the American Idol of Lure Build off Idea I will definitely be submitting some thing. Thanks Larry and Mike and all who have made these products and sites available to us.
Jeffrey Sloman
SLT Fishing Products
SLT Fishing Products

Re: How to get the right Alumisol mix for Fresh or Saltwater

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:20 am

hi sl
I use up to 20% softener for the softest lures and just a dab of hardener for harder ones. The hardner goes along way, and as will all plastisol based products must be well stirred and distributed evenly.
After multiple melts and cools it gets progressively harder, but can be softened. If remelting or cooking for long periods stabilizer is ok. I rarely use it anymore since the microwave.
hope this helps. Just start with a couple straight out of the jug, and go from there.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: How to get the right Alumisol mix for Fresh or Saltwater

Postby SLT Fishing Products » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 am

Sounds good Larry Thanks for the reply, I will try that out. I will make a couple different mixes as well and ee how they turn out then do the math for multiple pours later. I am looking forward to using the product asap for your lure build off.
Jeffrey Sloman
SLT Fishing Products
SLT Fishing Products

Return to Lure Making