UV glue applications?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

UV glue applications?

Postby Questor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:10 am

Have you experimented with ultraviolet cured glues like the one sold by Loon? I tried it successfully as a replacement for Pliobond on my fly line leader attachment loops, and really like it. It just occurred to me to try making some spoon flies with it instead of the traditional epoxy. It seems like there can be multiple lure and fly applications.
Questor

Re: UV glue applications?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 am

Hi Q
My buddy Mike from alumilite and I have been working with some high tech chemists on a good UV formula for lures, rod wrapping etc. for over a year. It's tricky coming up with the right compromise of hardness but non-brittle, plus good mechanical bonding strength.
The latest batch is looking really good and, coincidentally, yesterday I brought my whole UV set-up (four 40 watt bulbs in a 4 foot long rack) to my friends at Thorne Brothers rod building shop to do some testing on ice rods they were building.
I guess great minds travel in parallel paths!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks. It looks like an important development. Let us know when it makes it to retail. I'd really like to try that. Currently I just have a small tube of the Loon product and a tiny UV flashlight. (Thorne Bros/Fly Angler rocks! I feel fortunate to have near my home. Hope to meet you there sometime.)

I've been tying flies for my inshore fishing forays and was about to start on a few spoon flies when I realized that this stuff would probably be a good alternative to the epoxy I hate working with. The Loon product seems to be clearer than most clear epoxies too.

Here are the applications I envision for my fly tying:
1) Color it, then mold it in a clay or similar mold to make MOE flies without the epoxy. I have used that gray boat repair epoxy putty for MOEs, and it works great, but I do like the flies to be a bit more visually appealing.
2) Add it as a clear coat on things like spoon flies to reinforce the mylar or decorator tape that makes up the spoon.
3) Use it to make the heads of mullet flies, like the flies that are commonly made with silicone mixed into the synthetic fur heads.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 pm

hey q
all good ideas, except how do you plan on introducing u/v into a mold?
Also, at about $12 per ounce ($768.00 per gallon!!) the spoons would be rather costly!
The very best way to make the spoon flies is to use crystal clear urethane in a pressure pot (harbor freight). Clear as glass and not nearly as brittle as epoxy.
You should see the cool marlin heads I've been making with it!
And yes, I agree, Thorne's is a great resource for those in the metro!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm

By changing the design of the fly so that:
1) The fly has a flat side and a convex side
2) The mold has a hemisphere or similar shape pushed into it to form a cup
3) The hook is positioned to be centered in the mold. The hook will have thread or some mono whiskers to give it a better grip in the adhesive. Will probably have a weedguard tied to the hook.
4) The goo is poured into the mold until the hook is submerged
5) Light is applied from above

Not the traditional shape, but I don't think the fish will care.

If I want rounded edges, I could probably use an emory board and figure out how to polish it afterward.

If this approach works, I may be able to embed a black sphere in the goo to suggest an eye spot. Something as simple as a small split shot might do the job.
Questor

Postby Questor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:06 am

I did make my spoon flies this weekend using Knot Sense. Works great. Much nicer than using epoxy. Just dab it on, distribute it with a toothpick, add UV light, and wipe the tacky residue off with an alcohol wetted Q-tip, then touch up the edges with Hard As Nails. Durability is the next question. Seems like it should be OK, but only field testing will prove it.
Questor

Return to Lure Making