Lead head jig mold making.

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lead head jig mold making.

Postby SmokyB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:43 am

Larry what is the difference in the High Strength 2 silicone and the High Strength 3 as far as making a mold to pour molten lead jig heads in. I have been told the H.S. 2 is the one to use, only problem local store only carries the H.S.3. Can I use the H.S.3 to make a mold to make jigs for my use probably less than 200 a year. Thanks Smoky B
SmokyB

Re: Lead head jig mold making.

Postby lmoore » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:00 pm

The essential difference in the two is the higher viscosity of HS2 in it's liquid-mixed form. This causes it to be more rigid and strong. Essentially, the only difference between the two is HS2 sacrifices flexibility for tensile and shear strength. I assume the major concern would be the melting point, as you'll be pouring lead at temps close to 600 degrees. Alumilite provides the exact same MSDS sheet for both the HS2 and HS3, so I assume they have similiar properties in terms of reactivity and melting point.

http://www.alumilite.com/MSDS/High%20Strength%202&3.pdf

If HS2 is adequate for lead, HS3 should be. However, the MSDS indicates a flash point of 480F for the base and 300F for the catalyst, and a boiling point of 65C (150F) for the catalyst. Obviously, those properties will change during the reaction of the 2, but I would be concerned with their ability to hold up to the temperature of the lead you'll be pouring with. I have no direct experience, so I don't know for sure, ut if you're positive the HS3 can withstand
lmoore

Postby SmokyB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info. SmokyB
SmokyB

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi smokey
I've used quick set, mold putty and both high strength 2 and 3 for pouring jigs and they all hold up to pouring hot lead or pewter. That being said, when pouring with lead I like my mold to be very firm so I can clamp it securely without deforming it and also for safety, as the lead might find its way out of the seams of flexible mold, especially if the walls are thin.
The mold putty will give you the longest life but the least detail, and is not good for small heads. High Strength 2 is the next best choice.
I've got molds that are at least 8 years old that I've poured dozens and dozens of parts with and they're still fine.
After several pours and elapsed time the molds get a little "dry", at which time a light coating of silicone oil seems to freshen them up.iI t
How big are the jigs you want to pour? What shape? If they are huge, like approaching a half pound, I suggest you'll have better results using putty and doing an open back style mold.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cwalter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Where is the best place to find lead to melt down?
Cwalter

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 pm

It's not always the greatest, purest lead but wheel weights have always been the standard with most of the garage pourers I know!
Most tire places will either give or sell it to you at reasonable prices. It's best if you can find a tire guy who like to fish..
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby SmokyB » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Thnks Larry for the info. I will be making jig heads anywhere from 1/16 to 5/8 Oz.
SmokyB
SmokyB

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Smokey,
With jigs that small any of the compounds will work fine. You might have a few issues with premature cooling of the lead in making the tiny ones until the mold heats up from a few pours.
good luck with your project!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making