Question for Larry

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Question for Larry

Postby Cwalter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 am

Larry I have a question after watching the Mr. Wiggly section on your video. You mention something about pouring your tails first in one color. Does that mean you can pour the tails in Red then pour the body in White? And if so when you pour the tails do you wait for the tails to cure then pour the body? I was wondering because I would like to try this as well as two toned bodys say white or silver on the belly and a darker color on the top like a mullet. Just need to know when pouring the belly does the belly need to set up then pour the top. Thanks
Cwalter

Re: Question for Larry

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Not Larry here, but think I can help. If you pour immediately the colors will obviously blend. The best is to wait until it skins over even though it might not be completely cooled/set inside. This is the best time to pour the second color as it will marry the two surfaces very well. If you wait until it has completely cooled and hardened, the bond will not be as good as when the two are both warm and cool together.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Cwalter » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Thank You Mike that helps a lot and keeps from wasting material. What is the set time on the plastisol before it is past the point of bonding the two?
Cwalter

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 pm

It has nothing to do with time. It's totally related to temp.
I've poured bodies on to tails that have been sitting in a mold for weeks. The whole issue is making sure the plastic is really hot when it first contacts the "cooled" material.
I usually hold the mold at a severe angle with the tail down to make sure the plastic is as hot as possible when it makes contact with the tail section.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Cwalter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:35 am

Outstanding sounds good. Got some good direction to go in now this is gonna get good. Larry and Mike thank you.
Cwalter

Return to Lure Making