Lure making

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lure making

Postby bigchef1969 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 am

Hello larry, I hope you can help me. I am trying to find the materials to make my own soft floating jigs. There is a jig with this material by northland fishing lures but I cant find it anywhere. It is like a rubberised foam that floats, and is soft so when the fish bite it feels more real. Can you help me find where I can get this stuff? Other sites say use styrofoam but it is not soft like I am looking for. Whats your suggestion? Thanks Scott.
bigchef1969

Re: Lure making

Postby dahlberg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:15 am

Yes, I am familiar with that live bait delivery system. I suspect it's a whipped urethane. You can achieve something fairly similar either by mixing microballoons in Alumisol, which will create a soft head that will float but will not be as tough as the product you mention.
The other way is to use Flex 30 (much tougher material) and either imbed microballoons or introduce a tiny bit of water, like a drop, into the mix with will make it foam, and thus be buoyant.
Either of these can be dyed to make them various colors or even glow in the dark.
Good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby bigchef1969 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:00 pm

thanks for the hints larry, now for another question, where can I purshase microballoons, alumisol, and the flex 30? Are they exspensive or what?
bigchef1969

Postby dahlberg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 am

Go to Makelure.com, our sister website. It has all the materials and lots of instructional stuff as well.
best
K
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby bigchef1969 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Ok I have almost recieved all my products that I need, I do have another question. If I would put in some of the fish attractent like the stuff you can spray on would that mess up the the microballoons or alumilite?
bigchef1969

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I would add it after the lure is all set up and done. Just put you scent juice in a zip lock and let your soft plastics live in it until you decide to put them on your hook!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby lucky stick » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Are the properties of the soft plastic effected by adding salt, garlic, or others "juices"? It has been my experience to this point that the soft plastic is tough, but it has been soft plastic with a little softener only.
lucky stick

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Everything in moderation should be fine and not affect the performance very much. Salt will increase the stiffness and hardness of the Alumisol. As the hardness and weight increase, the elongation (stretchiness) of the soft plastic will decrease. Balancing this with softener is the trick. Remember, everything in moderation ... including microballoons, tungsten, scent, salt, etc.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Getting a new lure to market

Postby bigchef1969 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

I have been working on a new design and concept for a lure/jig and I was wondering what the process and how much it would cost to take my idea to the retail market. I now I first need the patent first but were to go after that. I need help finding such answers like how do I find someone to manufacture it and all steps and cost leading to it being sold in stores. Can you give me any ideas and/or answers and help. Thank You.
bigchef1969

Return to Lure Making