best fishing tip ever!

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

best fishing tip ever!

Postby dustedone » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Mr. Dahlberg,

I gotta say I had the one of the best open water seasons this year. I had gotten a tip from your show when you had taken Patrick Sebile on his first musky fishing trip up the St Croix. He had removed the tail treble hook from one of his Sebile lures and weighed the front treble with lead. I thought I would give this a try.

I started with the Rapala FLR-10 in firetiger. I removed the tail treble then replaced the front treble with a over sized (no. 02) wieghed treble. The weight I used was the 3/8 oz. weight from a weighed bobber. I used this on my musky rod with a 30" braided steel leader and sufix 832 advanced super braid. This combo turned the balsa floating Flat Rap from a 2-5 ft running lure into a slow sinking lure with a nice wobble as it sinks. I can cast this baby further than most of my bucktails. I can rip this thing in shallow water and also let the thing stink and fish at any depth possible. I tend to jerk this combo mostly and with the oversized hook found I don't get snagged up in the reeds. And it had produced better than I could have imagined.

On my first outing and the second cast, I landed 42" 25 lbs. northern. And it only got better from then on; I lost count how many 15 lbs.+ northerns I caught. The walleye and smallmouth bass could not resist this combo either. And I more than tripled the amount of trophy muskies I generally catch in a season. I boated 11 muskies over 40" before the dog days of summer. I personal record for myself.

I have put to use many of tips from numerous fishing shows some with maybe average results. My best fishing basics comes from the legendary Mr. Bill Binkelman. So, would you please thank Mr. Sebile for me for sharing this tips? I feel I may never meet this guy. And I thank you for all the valued information that you have share with all of us. And to you and yours a very happy and safe holiday season!

Dust
dustedone

Re: best fishing tip ever!

Postby dahlberg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi D
Thanks for the post! Glad you enjoy the efforts. I'll share your kind words with Patrick. I'm glad he'll be glad to hear about it all, except of course that you were using a rapala instead of one of his!!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Seachaser » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 am

Also he gave another tip. Add an extra split ring on the front treble helps the treble rotate and aids in keeping the fish from throwing the bait. I have started doing this on my mirrolures and it seems to make a difference.
Seachaser

Postby dustedone » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:26 am

Seachaser,
Oh, I forgot, I did do that too! Thanks for reminding me. I'll try to post a pic of this combo soon.

Dust
dustedone

Return to Lure Making