"Dimples" in demolded Whiggley?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

"Dimples" in demolded Whiggley?

Postby labtrainer18 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:38 am

After more than a half-dozen attempts to make a 7" Whiggley that will swim and dart like Mike's Big Whiggley, I finally have the shape right. But, despite being VERY careful with my resin mix, pouring speed, mold "tilting," and so on, I am consistently getting a substantial "dimple" or "crater in my baits.

Here's a link to two relevant photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 40e5ac8bb5

The crater shows up randomly on the left OR on the right side of the bait, but not on both. Each crater appears in the area below the pour funnel. Will the striped bass care? NO, but I do!

I know that in his terrific Big Whiggley video, Mike "digs out" the pour funnel and refills it with freshly heated resin to promote even cooling of the Alumilite resin in his mold. But the mold cavity for my 7" version is so small that this SEEMS like an unnecessary step. (Of course, it's possible that the small size of the mold is part of the problem.)

HELP! I hope you, Larry, or somebody else recognizes this problem and can recommend a fix! Thanks.
labtrainer18

Re: "Dimples" in demolded Whiggley?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 am

I'd guess your dimple is from shrinkage. How large is the pour hole? Are you adding a bit more a few minutes after initial pour?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Sounds like your pour hole is too small causing a vacuum to form- I used to have this issue too- so I made the pour spout bigger and would pour my bait- let it vacuum naturally then top it off with hot plastic - I find that I get the dimple when I keep adding my hot plastic as it’s vacuuming down- instead of letting it vacuum down and kind of work the mold around with tilts so you’re sure all air pockets are out as you fill with more hot plastic
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby labtrainer18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 am

Hi, Rhett. Thanks SO much for your detailed, insightful reply. You're absolutely right that I'm not waiting for the vacuuming to happen before repouring. I'll try your "delyaed" method this morning! By the way, the performance of your 12" Whiggley (as per your YouTube video) is nothing less than INCREDIBLY good. I have never been able to get that kind of perfect tail action in my smaller versions, despite trying six different shapes/molds and varying weights/placement. I REALLY appreciate your help. Chris

RhettWheeler wrote:
> Sounds like your pour hole is too small causing a vacuum to form- I used to
> have this issue too- so I made the pour spout bigger and would pour my
> bait- let it vacuum naturally then top it off with hot plastic - I find
> that I get the dimple when I keep adding my hot plastic as it’s vacuuming
> down- instead of letting it vacuum down and kind of work the mold around
> with tilts so you’re sure all air pockets are out as you fill with more hot
> plastic
labtrainer18

Postby labtrainer18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 am

Hi again, Rhett. Having just watched the YouTube video of your 12" Whiggley again, could I ask you how thick this bait is at the thickest point?
labtrainer18

Return to Lure Making