Question for Larry?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Question for Larry?

Postby ChubbyChaser » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 am

Hey Larry, My name is Pete. I spoke with you at the vender party after the Chicago Show, mostly about whigglies and a little about Tenn. A buddy of mine lives down there and begging me to send him some baits. Have you found a better length for whiggley for down there. Also I talked about making a smaller whiggley for trout and salmon on the Great Lakes. I need the bait to be pretty head heavy in order to jig in the 30' range. I was thinking of maybe trying to pack some tungsten in the tubing in the advanced whiggley. Do you think this will work or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again and it was very cool talking to you.
ChubbyChaser

Re: Question for Larry?

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:19 pm

All of those things will work to make it go deeper, but will change the way it moves a great deal, which may not be all bad. I've had my best success using a length of lead stuffed braid ahead of it. About 1/2 to 3/4 oz, which is around three feet or a little more of .o62 lead forming wire.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Question for Larry?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Pete and Larry, I should let this go, but I thought I might chime in on this anyway. If you go to http://www.makelure.com/Lures.cfm you will see the photos on makelure.com.

The first two photos you come to by Donald H. are my attempt at a aaaaaaaaaaaa hybrid Mr. Wiggly. It is a 4 inch soft plastic bait built like the Mr. Wiggly except that I have put some thinned or reduced cross sections in it to function as joints, and I added weight to the bottom front just like you mention.

What I have discovered is that in this bait size, 5 grams is all I could fit into the bait. It cast very well, it swims like a real dream, but it would be very hard to fish at 30'. Perhaps there is a way, but at this point in time, I believe Larry has suggested the only viable option to get the lure down to 30' without trolling.

OK, I should back up a little. I do fish mine as deep as 30', but I cast it out and have to let it sink for some time. Once it as go to the depth, the retrieve starts to bring it shallow. If I retrieve and pause, retrieve and pause, it works great, but it sinks way too slow to be a "jigging" type of bait.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making