Question for Mike/Larry or anyone who knows....

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Question for Mike/Larry or anyone who knows....

Postby BassinK9 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 am

.... is there any difference is Sculpey solid clay and Liquid Sculpey (other than the obvious)? If I wanted to make a lure blank to create a mold with, could I use the Liquid Sculpey instead?
BassinK9

Re: Question for Mike/Larry or anyone who knows....

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Liquid??? I did not even know about it.

You could sure call Mike at Alumilite to get the information. The man is brilliant on these things.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I personally have not used it but don't believe it would do what you are looking for. Most of the time, crafters are using it as a type of glaze. The other thing you'd have to be concerned with is the thickness you are trying to pour it. Typically, Sculpey doesn't want you to do anything thicker than a 1/4" at a time (even with the solid clay versions). They want you to add a layer and then bake it. Then continue that process until you get it to the thickness you desire. If you pour the liquid too thick, I'm anticipating a lot of shrinkage and cracking. Don't believe it would help your cause unless it is a small, thin lure in which it might work. Next time I'm out and about, I'll try to pick some up, try it, and report back.

How I typically do this, is to pour a hard resin one, then use Sculpey over top of it, bake it, sand it, and finish it to ready it for making a new mold. The resin is a much tougher back bone and not nearly as fragile.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby BassinK9 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks Mike!
BassinK9

Return to Lure Making