New Message Board System

Important System Announcements

New Message Board System

Postby dahlberg » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 pm

Dear Avid Anglers and Devoted Viewers of the Hunt for Big Fish:

Due to the uncontrollable inappropriate SPAM messages posted to the previous forum, there was no other option but to require registration in order to post to the "Ask Larry" forum.

It is with deep regret that the "bad apples" (or bad medication as the case may be) must spoil the bunch, and as such require this extra step of security.

We apologize for any inconvenience, however registration is quite simple and takes only a few moments.

Your name and email address will not be sold to any third party, and will only be used to communicate back and forth with Larry!

Thanks again for your understanding and continued communications!

Larry Dahlberg
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Travis B » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Not a problem. Don't mind at all if it means keeping the "riff raff" out.

Travis B
Travis B

Postby Seedy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Excellent News!

phpBB is probably my favorite Web Forum format! I am very glad to see that you went with an "Open source" format. The amount of modifications and hacks possible to phpBB is incredible. By the way...while the boards administration panel offers a lot of options and different ban filters and settings be aware that it will not completely keep the spammers out....In fact, by upgradding to this slicker BB format you may have actually ecouraged them! On other sites we have issues with chronic spammers using proxy servers to disguise their IP addresses....making it extremely difficult to keep them out by IP addy alone.

One suggestion that I would make is to go ahead and link your main web pages "forum" buttons directly to your new forum. You could then link back to the older forum from an announcement posted in every folder here. I accidently posted on the old board before I read your most recent announcement.

If you'd like to see what all is possible with phpBB check out:
http://www.aquatic-oasis.net/

Alex (the site owner) has heavily modified the code to allow the user some very usefull features (including a built in spell check)....never mind the current graphics over there as we are waiting for a couple of our members who are graphic designers to come up with a new banner....Talk to Alex on that site about possibly linking our site to yours (one thought might be to create a "sport fishing" folder linking directly to your site and a "fishkeeping" folder on yours linking to us.)

On the old board, I went by Colby D, however I'm usually known as "Seedy" on most web forums I participate in or administrate so, I thought I'd use it here too.
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Postby Seedy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:56 am

Larry,

Normally, I would post a suggestion such as this in a Private Message. However, it seems that the private messages are not turned on here on your forum. I really think you have the pottential to create an incredible resource for anglers here on your forum. Please contact me here, by email at SeedyD@gmail.com or on "Aquatic-Oasis" whose link can be found at the bottom of my signature.

Colby D
Tulsa OK USA
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Postby alex » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:47 am

Mr Dahlberg,

My name is Alex Calder, I am the friend Seedy mentions.
I would pm you with this, however the PM system is understandably disabled.
You need to go into the ACP and fiddle with the ban controls.

"Ban one or more email addresses" is the section you want, enter the following mask:
*@*.info

That should kill off a good portion of your current spam problems.
You have access to one of my email addresses here, use it if you feel the need.

Alex
alex

Return to System Announcements