question about rigging herrings

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

question about rigging herrings

Postby csaechao » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 pm

got a question about how to go about rigging herrings on the hook for sturgeons? which is most effective? i've heard many ways and tried a different type but not sure which is most effective for shore fishing for sturgeons?
csaechao

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Hi C,
That's an interesting question. Generally, sturgeon are easy to hook. But, I would assume in your case you might be dealing with current, lots of weight and as much line out as you can cast.
The actual problem is detection, and to compensate for that you're looking for an "automatic hook-up type rig.
I'd suggest something like the "quick strike" rigs the Europeans developed for pike. They consist of back to back hooks, one very small that goes in the bait, the other, up and out to hook the fish. A rig could have three or more hooks in it, depending on the size of the bait you are covering. You might have to modifiy the hooks for size and strength, but I'm pretty sure they'll get hung up in it if they slurp it. You can join hooks back to back with copper wire and silver solder.

Regarding upping the detection factor, yYou might also try Sufix super braid if you're currently using mono.
Also, a slip sinker rig butted to a swivel a few inched from your hooks.
Once the bait has "settled", pick up the slack so there is no bag in the line.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby csaechao » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:14 pm

thanks larry.
csaechao

Return to Saltwater Questions