Striper season

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Striper season

Postby JRisapirate » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 pm

Just wanted to see who else is pumped up for Striper season? Halloween has traditionally been the kickoff to the season around here but with cooler nights it may start earlier.

Can't wait, now the only problem will be deligating between deer hunting, fishing and family..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Re: Striper season

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Nobody? Things are starting to pick up, there are schools of bunker forming off the beach and should soon be making their way south, the bays will be cooling down and the bite should be turning on..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby sonny.barile » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm

Me and a buddy started up today here in Northern NJ. I love this time of year...........
Fishing isnt a hobby.....its a lifestyle!
sonny.barile

Postby nansea » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Here on Long Island we are always pumped.Fire Island is just starting to get consistent,Montauk is on fire, was there 2 weeks ago.
nansea

Postby JRisapirate » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm

P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

The season has officially ended for me. Was an awesome month of fishing though. The jigging off the beach was epic. I have video of strippers busting next to the boat. We were getting our limit in 20-30 minutes every trip. Key was to be first boat out

I wish it was easier to post pictures. Hope everyone had a safe an successful season.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:24 am

Nicely done brother! That's a beauty.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby emanon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Frankly, from the beach it was good early, but really lousy nov, dec this year....Jr, if you ever lack for crew, let me know...profesional mate, and I have more fun helping others than myself....just like to be on the fish...and take one home for the table to be honest...we are in the same area.....
emanon

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:15 pm

You never stop short..

** new attempt ***

http://youtu.be/iNICfxX-4-8
Last edited by JRisapirate on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Here is a link to a video of one of the best mornings I have ever had striper fishing.

http://youtu.be/QWkZEzgTwyY
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Videos added.. enjoy..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 am

I'm headed to Cape Cod this June for a couple days of striper fishing with my brother. Pretty pumped about it. In that second video, did that fish jump into the boat? haha
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:32 am

Never fished Cape Cod or North of Sandy Hook for that matter, but with hunting season quickly coming to an end I am def itchin to get back on the water. The first video is kind of funny because an old timer always tells us not to stop short when the birds are working. You have to keep going he says and anchor up. Its hard to see in the video but the birds are working an area thats probably a mile long. And it was like that every day from sun up until it got crowded for almost three weeks. The sand eels just stack up on this one lump. Its the closest thing to being a pirate with Gannets diving all over looking like cannon balls hitting the water..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:30 am

I was gonna comment as well on the birds dive bombing the sand eels. That's a totally awesome sight. Amazing how the ecology of the ocean works. birds and fish working together to eat even small fish.
RhettWheeler

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

Officially one month until the season opens.. Can't wait.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby emanon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 pm

AHHHH YEAH.....here we go again.....love spring fishin...always do well in the spring....
emanon

Postby JRisapirate » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 am

Unfortunately the new regs are going to put a damper on my Spring River fishing.. Looks like lots of plugging/poppers and black bombers at night

This is directly from Fish and Wildlife website: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/201 ... change.htm

Effective immediately, no person shall take, possess, land, purchase, sell or offer for sale any river herring (alewife and blueback) in the marine waters of the State. Only commercial vessels fishing exclusively in Federal waters while operating a valid Federal permit for Atlantic mackerel and/or Atlantic herring may possess river herring, up to a maximum of five percent by weight of all species possessed.

These regulations were put in place due to concerns about the significant coastwide decline of river herring stocks. The exact cause for these coastwide declines remains uncertain, but numerous factors such as loss of spawning habitat, impediments to fish passage (i.e. dams), water quality degradation and fishing all likely played a role. Amendment 2 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for river herring prohibits both the recreational and commercial harvest of river herring in the waters of states that do not have an ASMFC- approved river herring sustainable management plan. New Jersey does not have an approved plan since the available information on river herring stocks is not sufficient to definitively prove the State's river herring stocks are sustainable. Other states along the East Coast - Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and Rhode Island - have closed their river herring fisheries as well.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Well with this crazy warm weather we have been having we shouldn't have to wait until April for the bite to turn on.. Already herd rumors of a puppy drum being caught this week.. March 1st it happens and I will be trying for the first of the year that weekend, but this year will require a different approach.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby sonny.barile » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:33 pm

I will be fishing Jersey back waters on Wed. We are supposed to have some nice weather and I just cant wait anymore. Im dying to hook up with a fish.
Fishing isnt a hobby.....its a lifestyle!
sonny.barile

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am

Not sure how this warm winter will effect things, most of the fish that are around now are locals or followed the bait in with that last full moon. The big boys usually don't show until April-May. I'll be out in the evening and at night this weekend, casting poppers at dusk and trolling some black bombers in the river at night. Good Luck - let us know how you make out.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby rbenash » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 am

I'm doing my annual run up as well to the cape for Stripers, Blues as well as pond fishing. I wanted to put something together that would be good and solid for boat use. Something that I can make long casts and fast retrieve, troll a lttle with and also use in the Cape Cod Canal. So really looking at adding a Tranx and something like an 8' MH or H terez. I have a pair of inshore rigs I use as well with good results but looking for something a little heavier that will also allow long casts, etc.

Liking the looks of the Tranx and Terez that Larry was using.

Otherwise the 300 series Shimanos have been working in the past along with inshore travel rods from St. Croix. Want to add something heavier and longer to the mix but really like low profile BC's.

So thinking of putting together a Tranx TRH500HG and a TZCW80MH Waxwing. For this mix. Anxious to hear your thoughts before I push the button. Definitely going to play with some waxwings regardless this season.

Thing with the Cape Cod Canal is you really need to be able to do long casts and I like the relative compactness of the Tranx. But I can also put it to a number of other uses. Same with the rod.
rbenash

Postby waxwingangler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 pm

RB-
The combo you want to put together is the exact outfit I have for the Tranx and for the same reason. I'm going with the MH to throw the Jr & SR Waxwings.
At present I'm waiting on the rod to come in this week. More on the Waxwings in a bit...
I have a Terez Med 7' w/ Curado 300 EJ and a Terez Med 8' w/ Curado J. Because of the height of the rod the Med 8' is a bit bigger
going into the butt and a slightly heavier outfit. But not noticable enough to induce early fatigue during a long day of casting. Either will handle
what ever bites. Dont be afraid to crank on the fish, these rods can take some punishment and turn some heads in the process. Anyway after doing some mass
research on the tzcwx80h & the tzcwx80mh, I found the 80h is hard to find as it is new to use with the "Daddy" wax wings and not very many people even know its out yet.
However http://www.mahitackle.com/tzcwx80h.html this is the only link I've found so far (Mahi Tackle) to find that rod. Mahi Tackle stock color selections at present are
Aqua, Emeald, and White. Almost anyone on line has the 80mh.
The "Heavy", as I mentioned, is for the Daddy WW which weighs about 4oz and is 6.5' long. The MH is for the JR weighing 1.5oz, but will easily throw the SR weighing 2.1oz.
The Daddy WWs come in colors that you wont readily find from the Boy to the Sr size. But they are out there in the Sr size if you look. The links below are for the colors I selected
http://www.catfishsupply.net/ProductInf ... id=7394850 http://www.catfishsupply.net/ProductInf ... id=7394804
http://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/sh ... -back.html
I almost regret not going with the 80H But since I'm not buying any Daddy WW, I thought it might be over kill for the Jr WW I like to throw.
As far as colors go: You're a striper fisher man, I would highly recomend the Bunker and or the Green Shad. I have caught striper on the Green Shad. Other colors out in open water I would
use are: Bone Pink/White & Chartreuse.
Go to melton Tackle online to look at some of the new stuff. They have recently updated their WW page and have the Daddy size in a few select original colors.

Hope this helps
WWA
waxwingangler

Postby rbenash » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

WWA - thanks for all that detail!! I did get the MH 8 ft waxwing today. And some WW lures. I'll make sure to pick up some additional WW lures in the colors you mention. I want to do some boat fishing in the horshoe shoals area while at the cape. I might do a little trolling (for locating) but mostly 90% casting once we find them (stripers OR blues).

Now - I have rigs already that have worked well for the boat stuff - this rig woud only make that more fun and provide better casting, etc.

The secondary is that I wanted a nice rig for casting on the Cape Cod Canal. Long distance required. And able to hold up to whatever current with a striper on.

I'm sure the Tranx will be fine based on feed back in other posts from Larry and others.

Looking at the MH Terez WW rod that came today I know the boat use is well covered. Not positive on the canal use - but never thoroughly did a workout there. So I really have no clue. We'll give it a shot and if I need to go to a H80 I will just need to pick up another rod for that purpose. I'm really excited about figuring out the canal fishing. But when I do the Cape Cod thing I do try to take in as much as I can. Inshore, offshore, ponds (greenies and smallies). Love the place.

May just do it anyway.
rbenash

Postby rbenash » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am

I got the WW rod last week. Very nice, can't wait to try it out.

Tranx is delayed to next month.

For the Canal for one of the rigs I'm thinking of sending the Tranx to M&D tackle in Wareham and having a 10'6 to 11' Century surf rod built around it with the same guides used on the waxwing. Probably will be contacting M&D tackle in Wareham. I can hear them laughing now - will probably think I'm crazy. But the speed should be good for the Canal IMHO. Want something to throw distance primarily with plugs, swimmers, metals and do some jigging. Something for 2-6 oz range.

May ask to have rings placed that would allow me to use casting or spinning reel on the rod.

Sound crazy?
rbenash

Postby waxwingangler » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

RB-
No prob, anytime...
Anyway...Its not crazy per say but you can probably pick up a ready made for the same price or less than having one built. The option to use spinnig
and casting on the same rod is the kicker though. I have not spent more than 50 on a surf rod, but that just goes to say I was being cheap and
didnt want to spend alot for something hardly used. I had a 12' 2 piece spinning out fit that I sold to buy new gear.
Good luck RB

WWA
waxwingangler

Next

Return to Saltwater Questions