Increased hooking percentage on topwaters

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Increased hooking percentage on topwaters

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:01 am

Hello:

I fish topwater baits a lot. Baits are like the Zara Spook, but aren't limited to that model. I get a lot of strikes that don't result in a hookup. Can you recommend any improvements I can make that can increase my hookup percentage? Thanks!

(By the way, this is an ironic situation because I can hardly touch my lures without poking my hands or getting hung up on my clothes. It's hard to believe any fish can hit that same lure four or five times and still not get hooked. )
Questor

Re: Increased hooking percentage on topwaters

Postby smarais » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I have never fished topwater baits in saltwater, however, I use it a lot in lakes and rivers.
Normally when I see the fish not getting the hooks I either downsize to maybe a Zara Puppy, fish much slower, or use a different bait like a Pop-R or a Heddon Torpedo. One of my go-to baits for neutral/inactive fish is a Heddon Torpedo. The hooks are attached directly to the body, and I have modified mine by adding a split ring and then the hook. I think it gives a better chance of the fish getting the business end.

Stephan
smarais

Re: Increased hooking percentage on topwaters

Postby SunBurnt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am

In this thread Larry talks about the "shrink tube trick". Haven't tried it yet myself but it sounds promising. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8243&p=16733&hilit=shrink#p16733
SunBurnt

Return to Saltwater Questions