Rods did not make the flight

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rods did not make the flight

Postby greyghost » Fri May 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Larry

How could you go all the way to the Seychelle Islands and not have a travel rod or two along with you? Luggage gets misplaced all the time so something like the equipment not arriving on time is not out of the ordinary. I know you must have had a reason for not having a back-up plan.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 am

Hi GG,
You sound a little sanctimonious. Obviously you've never traveled with a fortune in camera gear. Given the current airline restrictions one must make choices as to what one can carry on board and those options don't include both camera and fishing gear. The express purpose of the trip was to test new reels. The only ones that existed in the whole wide world were in a backpack being carried by a man the airline (Emerite) left standing at the gate after they promised me he'd make the flight.
It's a long story I don't have the time or desire to relate.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby greyghost » Wed May 23, 2007 5:29 am

Larry
Your testy reply to what I thought was a reasonable question has changed me from being a big fan of yours to one who is not so sure anymore. You will hear no more from me.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 23, 2007 6:48 am

Hi GG,
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. What's the old expression, "don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins."
In my case it's around a quarter million air miles per year for the past 15 years and just short of 80 countries. I travel with just one other person, pack and maintain all the camera gear and fishing gear all by myself, plus log every minute of tape when we return.
I just returned from a very difficult and long trip (over 21 hours in the air)
and might be a little testy about being second guessed by someone who has no idea what it's really like to do what I do.
The purpose of this forum is to try and help people out when ever I can by answering their questions with the best info I can provide. It doesn't include any advertising and doesn't generate any revenue plus takes quite a bit of time.
If your future questions or comments relate to my being so stupid I don't have back up travel rods and reels along it's ok with me if you don't bother to write. However, if there are questions I can answer that may help you catch more or bigger fish I stand willing and ready to give you time time it takes to answer them to the best of my ability.
best regards,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby greyghost » Wed May 23, 2007 7:47 am

Larry
Thanks for taking the time to further explain your feelings about the missing tackle (travel rod) affair.
You are right, I have no idea what it is to do what you do. I have traveled out of the country on several occassions to fish in Costa Rica and the Bahamas. I also go out west to trout fish once a year or so. These trips are all vacations for me where all I have in mind is getting away from the daily grind and having some fun. If fish are caught, great, I consider it a bonus. You have a completely different set of priorities and obligations on all your trips. I can put myself in your shoes and see how such a question as I posed could rankle you. I must apologize for the tone of my letter, it did not come across in the way I would have liked.
I remain a fan of you and your show. I purchased a Curado 300 because you gave it such high marks and it has been everything you said it was. A truly great reel.

Greyghost
greyghost

Return to Saltwater Questions