Back from N. Padre.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Back from N. Padre.

Postby SunBurnt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:16 pm

Well I’m back from N. Padre and it was a decent success. I was after redfish and speckle trout and I caught both! Several trout including one I thought was fairly nice and one Redfish which was small. I also caught a few fish that I was told were sand trout, they looked very similar to the speckled trout except they were a much lighter color on the tops of their body’s.

We got a late start on Thursday so I didn’t have time to stop by Cabelas after all, I ended up fishing with a 6’6” Med. action spinning rod I normally use for bass. It worked great with 12 lb. mono. Nice long casts into the wind and plenty of backbone for the fish I was catching, although none of my catch would be considered a “big fish” by this crowed. One note about the rod I used is that I was fishing on the surf side of a jetty and was having to hoist the fish I was catching out of the water and over some granite rocks that were about four feet wide, for this application I think I might use a MH rod in the future.

The first two days I was killing speckled trout on Johnson Sprite gold colored spoons, the second day this is what I caught the one redfish on also. By the third day the speck’s seemed to have moved on to a different location, so I got one strike which I missed and caught one small pearl colored fish that I have no idea what the species was on the gold spoons. But I noticed a guy down from me was catching some fish using live “minnows” and a bobber so I took a look at my tackle and decided to tie on a 3/8 oz. jig head and put a smoky shad colored Zoom Super Fluke on it, I started to jig this about three to four feet under the surface retrieving it slowly and boom I started catching the sand trout.

Here's a link to the first thread I started about this trip: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8295
Last edited by SunBurnt on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunBurnt

Re: Back from N. Padre.

Postby SunBurnt » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:26 pm

Well I was trying to post up some pics but I can't seem to figure it out right now. I'll try again later.
SunBurnt

Postby Terry G. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 am

this web forum does not allow pictures to be uploaded due to bandwith usage.
ya i tried long time ago
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby SunBurnt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 am

Terry G. wrote:
> this web forum does not allow pictures to be uploaded due to bandwith
> usage.
> ya i tried long time ago

Glad to hear its the website and not me just being ignorant. :mrgreen: I guess maybe its time I get a photobucket account or something.
SunBurnt

Return to Saltwater Questions