Advice: Padre Island, Texas.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Advice: Padre Island, Texas.

Postby SunBurnt » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:50 am

So its time I get into saltwater fishing. I’ll be on North Padre next weekend and the plan is to go for trout and red’s.

And I pretty much need everything.

1. What length and weight rod should I get? I know guys just use their bass gear for this type of fishing but considering there’s a Cabelas on the way I think I “need” a new setup.

2. I don’t know why but these days I’m just more likely to pick up a spinning reel instead of a bait caster, this should be fine right? I figure I’ll get something from one of the usual suspects Shimano, Daiwa, etc. EDITED TO ADD: The Shimano Stradic is starting to look good. If I went with this reel what size should I get? All other suggestions still welcome of course.

3. What line do you guys use for inshore saltwater?

4. I’m thinking gold spoons, walk the dogs, and plastic crabs on jig heads. Yes, no?

Thanks for any tips,
SunBurnt

P.S. I think its awesome Larry has a forum!
SunBurnt

Re: Advice: Padre Island, Texas.

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi SB
I've not fished that area, but it sounds like you're on the right track lure-wise.
Stradic is a great reel, I'd team the 4000 size up with a 7'6" spinning rod like a med action Teramar and either 12 lb mono or 20-30# powerpro.
good luck, wear your sunscreen!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby SunBurnt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks Larry.

If I catch anything and if I remember to have a camera ready I'll post up some pics when I get back.

Oh, and sunscreen and a hat are on the packing list. :D
SunBurnt

Postby Terry G. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:50 am

Not to take away from Larry's board or expertise but why are you not asking these questions on our own Texas boards like 2cool?

if your fishing in shore you can catch any thing from piggie fish to croker on up to sharks, and bait is any thing you can put on the end of that line, my wife got a 27 in speck on a hunk of cheese and the end of a hot dog, i once run out of dead bait and i used the silver foil out of a cig pack tied on my hook and got a 37 in red.

this past week i was playing with a Bass jointed fish replica and nailed a 22 speck.

and i fish with a modified fly rod and spinning reel and 15 lb
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby SunBurnt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:26 am

Terry G. wrote:
> Not to take away from Larry's board or expertise but why are you not asking
> these questions on our own Texas boards like 2cool?
>
> if your fishing in shore you can catch any thing from piggie fish to croker
> on up to sharks, and bait is any thing you can put on the end of that line,
> my wife got a 27 in speck on a hunk of cheese and the end of a hot dog, i
> once run out of dead bait and i used the silver foil out of a cig pack tied
> on my hook and got a 37 in red.
>
> this past week i was playing with a Bass jointed fish replica and nailed a
> 22 speck.
>
> and i fish with a modified fly rod and spinning reel and 15 lb

Hey there Terry. Well I posted here because I like Larry's show and he seems to be exceptionally knowledgeable when it comes to fish in general.

Its good to hear that you are catching so many fish on a wide variety of baits and lure's. I was on Keith Warren's site the other day, I was reading one of his articles where he said "I find redfish fishing to be everything I hoped bass fishing would be" or something like that.

Either way I'm excited. Hopefully I'll catch some big fish, the reason I was thinking trout and red's is because that seems to be what I hear guys talking about catching the most down there. If I catch a tarpon or grouper that would be nice too. :mrgreen:

A modified fly rod with a spinning reel,interesting.
SunBurnt

Postby SunBurnt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 am

This was a fun video to watch and relatable to the questions I was asking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWukSEMScf4
SunBurnt

Return to Saltwater Questions