Resin Moulded Lures

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Resin Moulded Lures

Postby pmarklew » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 am

Hi Larry

Just a quick question from a newbie in South Africa. How do you consistently get the wire into a resin moulded lure.
Do you cut and bend the wire beforehand, then put it in and cast the lure around or do you drill afterwards or can you use a straw and then have a hold which you can pot the wire through. Its not really explained in your pdf "how to" document. My lures are about 15cm long, so its quite near impossible to drill.

Many thanks Peter
pmarklew

Re: Resin Moulded Lures

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 am

I bend the wire first and pour around it, or sometimes leave a hole if I want a lure that detaches from the hooks as when fishing tarpon with heavy jigs or spoons. Which pdf are you referring to? I've not written anything about lure making having chosen the medium of video instead. Most of the techniques of molding etc are covered the the "Workshop" video and many can be view online at makelure.com.
Good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby pmarklew » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:31 am

Hi Larry

Many thanks for your reply. I now have 2 other questionsand would appreciate any response: -
1. Is it possible to pour a lure from the tail, over the wire. I ask this question because I want to pour some poppers with quite a cup face and I don't want any airlocks round the cup. So I thought I could pour face down and then hopefully if there were any airbubbles they would be no where near the cup.
2. Is it possible to mix two differing mixes of resin. Where I am going with this is, assuming I want to make a popper which I tail heavy, so it casts better and sits tail down in the water. Could I say, start pouring a resin mixed with microballoons until its say half full and then pour in the exact same type of resin mixed with a weighted solution. The resins are the same type. Would the resin bond as one or would it be weaker.

I realise I would have to work fast so that both mixes are poured straight after each other, no 5 minute break for example.

If any one else out there has an answe, I would love to hear. The poppers are going to be about 16cm long and quite slim.

Many thanks
Peter
pmarklew

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:44 am

Hi P
The answer is yes to both of your question. I frequently mix two different buoyancies of resin, putting the "heavier" stuff where it needs to be to affect balance or center of gravity.
The materials need not necessarily be liquid when you pour the second one and they will still bond.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions