Trumpet Fish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Trumpet Fish

Postby GaryInHawaii » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Aloha Larry!

On today's episode, I saw that you caught a trumpet fish for the first time but didn't know anything about it. When you threw it back, you missed out on eating one of the very best fish in the ocean! To clean the fish of that nasty slime, use an old Hawaiian trick, by covering the entire fish with dry loose sand. Then take the fish to the water and all of that slime will stick to the sand and come off completely. Chop off the head and tail, and you're left with about half the length of the fish. No problem. Inside you'll be surprised to find a single bone running the length of the body. Along the sides, just as with calamari, you'll find what appears to be plastic siding. The flesh of this fish is very "oily" and is best cooked on a grill because it will "bleed" a tremendous amount of liquid. Once cooked, you'll find that this fish is unbelievably delicious! Ooops! Forgot to tell you to skin this fish, just as you would a mahi-mahi, prior to cooking. The one you caught is unusually large. They do grow larger. My personal record is one over 5-feet long! It was big enough to feed two families at the beach that day. It was cooked on a hibachi-grill, and tasted fabulous! Enjoy watching your show, and would like to see more shows from Australia, and the Indo-Pacific area. I'd also like to see a new show about the capitan, or moi as the pacific threadfin is known in Hawaii. The ones in the rest of the oceans are much bigger than the species in Hawaii, where a big one is over 3-pounds. Aloha and good fishing! Gary
GaryInHawaii

Re: Trumpet Fish

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm

I thought he was just too cute to kill! I too am a big fan of the capitan. Love to fish them in the rivers of west africa. Giants! Like pushing 100 pounds.
Glad you enjoyed the shows.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions