reel advice

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

reel advice

Postby question4larry » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:15 am

Larry,
Need advice on a reel to use for surf casting in Mexico....and to be used from a panga. I have a nine foot surf rod rated up to 4oz. I use a lot of 2.5 and 3oz lures. Distance, speed and capacity (300yds or 30#braid) is key. I have it narrowed down to three reels. First one is the Sustain 8000. This one picks up 42 inches, has a lot of capacity. My concearn is that it might be on the too big side of things for a nine foot rod and the drag might wear out on larger fish down there. The other is the Stella 5000SW. This one has the drag and a good size, but does not have a ton of capacity and might be a bit slow with 40 inches of line pickup. The last option is the Stella 8000SW, this has all the good stuff....lots of capacity, 48 inches of pickup, incredible drag and so on, but it is also large in size and a concearn it might affect distance with a 9 foot rod. What direction would you lean here and am I on the right track?
Thanks so much
Chris
question4larry

Re: reel advice

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 am

The Stella 8000SW will outperform all the spinning models you listed. The spool design combined with all the other line management features create the best casting spinning reel we have ever offered.
Bantam1

Return to Saltwater Questions