heading to belize

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

heading to belize

Postby garrett » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:18 pm

I have been doing some research on where to fish and guides in the area. All the guides I can find on the internet, including the ones recomended here, all work out of resorts. So first question is do I have to stay at these resorts or do they offer day trips? But what I am really excited to do is some exploring on my own and find some snook and tarpon. In my research I found a couple of lagoons and rivers in the mainland and was hoping to either rent a kayak or hike in and maybe find some fish. Is trying to fish on my own a waste of time, is there any access on these rivers and lagoons? Any advise on this would be appreciated. Also some Dahlberg snook topwater flies would be nice.....any recomendations
garrett

Re: heading to belize

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 am

I went down there back in the late 70's with a couple of buddies and a copy of saltwater sportsman tucked under our arms. We rented a boat from Sail Belize on Moho key which is just off the coast and went off exploring on our own.
This was prior to GPS so it was a little dicey. We fished both inland in the extensive system of connected waterways, but had our best luck fishing small groups of islands between belize city and the area to the north (Turniffe?).
We had super fishing on shallow flats actually hidden inside some of the smaller islands. There would be a tell tale "blue" channel, sometimes only 5 feet wide, which if followed often lead to these inside flats.
Snook, tarpon, bones, cubera and mangrove snappers plus some big barracuda and fair sized lemon sharks were all using these areas.
The only nasty surprise came when I jumped out of the boat in what appeared to be about 3 feet of water and sunk up to my armpits in the goo.
In other words, there are areas of both hard and soft bottom and before you jump out to wade, make sure you have hard bottom!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelheadsicko » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply....wish I had a time machine.
Did a lot of research and I think all of Belize is an agreeance in not renting boats to drive more biz to the local guides.
Your Columbia trip really got me pumped, one question, what rod where you using I already have the reel and I would love to know how you cast the distance you do
steelheadsicko

Postby Bill Crain » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:06 pm

CHECK OUT BELIZE KAYACKING RENTAL. ON BING
Bill Crain

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:23 am

What part of Belize are you going to? The Cayes? If so which one? I know a couple of good guides out there that can put you on some serious fish. They're not out of any resorts, they're full time fishing guides. One guide's name is Pernell on Caye Caulker, if you take a water taxi there, he's just down this crooked looking little alley next to the Blue Wave Hotel. Pernell is one of those guides who won't go out unless he knows you're going to be on big fish. I was skeptical at first but the man put me on some SERIOUS permit and some beautiful Jacks. I went out for a half day fishing and thought my arms were going to fall off after all the 30-40 minute plus battles on light spinning tackle. I know when the timing is right he's an ace for finding tarpon as well. The other guy's name is Mr. Juan, one of those old timers who fishes everyday. He's old school and can put you on the fish.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby garrett » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 pm

yeah I will be heading to cay caulker so thanks for the info
do you know there rates
garrett

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 am

His rates weren't too bad, I don't remember off the top of my head. The rates may have changed since I've been there in 2010. My suggestion is only let Pernell take you out, that guy is like a fish magnet, especially in full sun, the flats are very active. Like i said, go down the little alley next to the blue wave hotel, all the way to the end you'll see a small lagoon with a bunch of small boats w/ yamaha motors on them, his house is at the end to the left, has a small wooden sign on the tree that reads "Pernell's guide service" i think. If you don't see anyone outside go up to the house and ask for him. You won't regret it. Don't let anywhere waste your time taking you out on a guided fishing trip for snapper or anything like that and to be honest with you, you can walk the beaches and catch bonefish and ladyfish on your own, so i wouldn't waste my time guiding for those, go after the permit, barracuda, or tarpon if you can.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:51 am

sorry forgot to mention, if you're on ambergris caye look for Mr. Juan next to the "Island Divers Belize" shop, he's an old timer, so don't be shy to ask for Mr. Juan in the dive shop and tell the fishing guide "Nef" that Rhett Wheeler says hi. He may be able to hook u up on some diving. They have phenomenal diving there too.
RhettWheeler

Return to Saltwater Questions