GT Show

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

GT Show

Postby Driftboat Greg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Hey Larry, I loved the show. It looked like those GT's kicked your butt pretty good. Do you feel the handles on those popping rods are too long. I'm a short guy and after watching the show the long handle looks awkward to say the least. I am going to build one for casting plugs to bluefin tuna and would like your opinion........Thanks, Greg.
Driftboat Greg

Re: GT Show

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:36 am

That's a good question. There's a minimum length needed for comfortable and efficient casting, and I'm sure that has a great deal to do with your body size. I'd agree that any more but than that just gets in the way for me.
I know some guys who tuck the handle under their arm pit and like the long handles. If I do that, my AC joint detaches so I try to put the butt in my belly.
For serious, serious pulling I prefer a good stand up rig, about 52" long with a super short butt and total hold out 6" above the handle.
I like a butt bucket harness and wear the gimbel belt really low.
The gunwale on the boat needs to be low enough to allow the rod to be lowered well below 90 degrees if possible. There needs to be something to hang on to, and be tied to as well...
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions