Curado vs. Calcutta for Salt??

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Curado vs. Calcutta for Salt??

Postby a_cirig » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:34 pm

I am an east coast saltwater guy and after watching the Striper show I am excited to get out and try some of those big Sebile swimbaits. I saw the Curado 300E with Teramar rod combo and was curious about opinions on the Curado for saltwater vs. a more standard saltwater baitcaster like a 400 Calcutta? I am used to the freshwater style of casting reels but was curious if Curado would hold up to the constant abuse of salt vs. Calcutta? Appreciate any advice or thoughts you may have on this. :?:
a_cirig

Re: Curado vs. Calcutta for Salt??

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi C
I use mine in the salt often and have never taken it apart! I just rinse it with fresh water just like all my other reels.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:32 am

I fish my Curado 300's in saltwater all season long. My original DSV versions have been fished hard for 4 seasons now. I am not easy on them and they have yet to give me an issue. Last year I finally replaced a gear set and drag washer in one of the reels. I am still fishing one of the prototype reels that were used on the Golden Dorado trip that Larry and Jeremy Sweet used when the show was filmed. That reel has yet to see any replacement parts. The Curado 300 is a solid reel and I think you will be surprised at how well it performs.
Bantam1

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 am

I have not used the Curado but I do own a couple Calcutta's and the 400 is hands down one of the best reels I have fished with. I think for saltwater apps the Calcutta has just a little more to offer not to mention that gold body is way better looking than the slimline green body. For one the Calcutta has a clicker feature that the curado doesn't have. And if you want a reel that you can use for both casting and bait fishing go with the Calcutta you won't be sorry. But as you probably already know there is nothing safe from the salt, if you are like me and run the boat 4-5 days a week crap is sure to fail at some point. Its been almost 6+ years that I've able to afford Calcutta's and the only problem I have had is the oneway bearing in one reel locked up, which I was able to clean and free up with a little WD40. Good luck you really can't go wrong with Shimano
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Henry Schmidt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Using the 300DSV Ive caught tarpon, snook over 40", goliath gouper, barracuda. Ive found it easier to maintain than the Calcutta and infinitely more comfortable. Ive used it baiting flatheads and blues in Tn. and never missed having a clicker. I also use it bass fishing when cranking buzzbaits and big crankbaits because it doesnt seem to feel overworked by the torque.
Henry Schmidt

Re: Curado vs. Calcutta for Casting Stripers?

Postby bmellick » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:54 am

Interested in the final decision and any other input - just bought calcutta 400 nonlevelwind for casting big plugs from boat and in fall from shore for stripers - not too late to exchange for a Curado. any thoughts :?: Also when casating how long do like your mono/flouro leaders to be if you use one :?:
bmellick

Postby Bucktail » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm

I have Calcuttas from the 150 to the 400 size (my oldest is over 15 years old) and I love them all. However, after getting a Curado 300 and fishing it over the past few years for everything from fluke to slammer bluefish to stripers in the 30+ lb class, it has become my hands down favorite all around reel. And, while I still use them, my Calcuttas have taken a back seat.

If I need another inshore reel anytime soon it will definitely be a Curado 300! 8)
Bucktail

Return to Saltwater Questions