Been getting skunked

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Been getting skunked

Postby Chris M » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Hey Larry,
I have been getting absolutely skunked. It seems like for weeks now I have been pounding the rocks with no good results or any results. I've been going out at all different times of day and tide levels. Throwing soft plastics texas rigged or on jigs all around and into the rocks like normal, for Rockfish, Lings or Cabezon seems like it has always paid off better than this.
The weather is very clear but cold after a big storm that passed a few days ago. I thought maybe they moved to deeper water since it is so cold but talking to other people on other boards they are still catching, although complaining not as much either. Most of them are farther south than I and they're weather is probably a little warmer. I have been staying out past dark but am thinking of waiting till dark to go out.
Do you know where all my jetti fish have gone?
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:59 am

HI C
It sounds like there isn't any bait around. Either you have to travel to where there is some bait, pick a different game altogether like fishing an inland freshwater lake or "self-contained" system, or stay home and prepare tackle or do the stuff around home that will allow you to go fishing when conditions change!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:53 am

There are a ton of little rock crabs and quite a few big red crabs. I've been using mostly Cajun Crabs and creature baits. I see birds chasing/catching bait fish all the time and otters have been coming into our canals. I know many of these fish prefer crabs and Lings are supposed to be coming in shallow to spawn (I thought). The jetti fishing does start to heat up around Feb/Mar, but why this sudden calm before the storm?
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby Phil Chavez » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Gear down and work the surf. Use 8 to 10 test and 1 1/2" to 1" small rubber grubs. You'll start to see what kind of fish are in tht area and then increase in size of bait. Check the sand for worms and crabs. Also, use a clear plastic float and cast out as far as you can. Let the tide and wave bring in the line. Try and keep the slack out of the line without you pulling inthe line yourself.

You have to hunt for the fish. There may not be a lot of them there, but there are some there.

When the fish are not biting for me, I look at it like this: If Ijust finished a big meal and did not want to eat anything else, what would I eat? Apply that to the way you want to attract fish. They are full, but what would they eat out of instinct/reaction or flavor.

Good luck...phil...>)))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Postby Chris M » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 pm

I've been going out with ultra light gear lately. 6# line and throwing 3" power minows, very small profile. Still nada. But believe me I will keep trying everything.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Return to Saltwater Questions