Deleware charters

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Deleware charters

Postby Brian » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I will be headed to Deleware on vacation in mid June. Ever since I convinced my friends to spend a little money on salt water charters a few years ago, they have become addicted. So, once again I am looking for an opportunity to take advantage of the saltwater and I am looking for information on any charters and what to catch near Bethany beach in Deleware. I've never been to the coast in Deleware, so I'm in the dark with what I may be looking for that may put up a descent fight. Are Stripers a viable option during June in these waters? Would sharks or large bluefish be an option worth looking into? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Re: Deleware charters

Postby emanon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:35 am

there are any number of species to go for, but it will probably be a little late for stripers in numbers....blues alot of them, bring fairly light tackle and you'll have a blast....offshore any number of species depending on what the water temps are doing....but you'll be at a fairly real good time for alot of different stuff...also bring a surf rig if you can, ask around, research the charters available and have fun....you should have good fishing
emanon

Postby JRisapirate » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

Stripers are still around maybe a few drum if you are going early June. Really all depends on how fast the water temp warms up. Fluke will probably be a safe bet, might be a little early for the Old Grounds but its a short run from Del.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:49 pm

Thanks Guys, I've gotten hooked on Amberjack over the last few years. But I realize that would be a little far north for them. I was thinking about trying for shark if my friends are up to trying for something that we don't keep for table fare.

Thanks,
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby newcapt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 am

Try calling or looking at the website of Old Inlet Bait and Tackle they are located next to Indian River Inlet.
newcapt

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 pm

Unfortunately, this trip I took wasn't the greatest. Two out of my three friends spent 5 out of 8 hours puking. Have to hand it to them, though, they didn't want to give up. Seas were very very choppy, with moderate waves, 5-7 feet. The captain wasn't the greatest or the friendliest, but we did manage to catch one Bluefin tuna that met the slot limit, so we at least had some fantastic fish for the grill when we got home. Other than that, one skipjack. The mate was ok, but for three hours, he failed to recognize that one of the trolling rigs was tangled up in a balloon. We kept asking him why the rod was dipping and hopping, he said it was just the roughness in the water. Guess you get what you pay for. At least now we know one place where we don't want to go, and next time the rod is acting up here and there, we know not to just take the mate's word that everything is ok. I've fished with good and bad mates, this one was not the best.
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions