Land based shark fishing ?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Land based shark fishing ?

Postby NCsharker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:39 am

hey larry whats up.

have you ever tried any land based sharkin.

its just what it sounds like . fishing for big sharks from the beach.

heres a few pix of fish we have caught in the last year or so.

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... 0542-2.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... /ls2-1.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... er/omg.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... ut3xbl.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... ker/ls.jpg

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq30 ... chment.jpg

anyway you get the point. oh and all fish are tagged and released!!!!!!

hope to talk to you soon.

jason
NCsharker

Re: Land based shark fishing ?

Postby JRisapirate » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:03 pm

couldn't open them.. But when I was going to school at ECU we would fish the point almost every weekend in the spring and fall.. And a few trips to Oakracoke here and there. Caught some big Black Tips at the point. And a few bull Reds to :) Use to be friends with a girl who tended bar at the Sandbar, which is not even there anymore..

How is the beach access, getting any better for you guys in NC. Last time I was there they were closing beaches left and right because of the birds..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Jason,

Nice pictures! That has to be an awesome battle trying to pull such a large shark in while the receding surf is pulling back! Were those sharks caught along the Outer Banks? I've fished in the surf and from the piers there many times managing to only catch a ton of spots, skates, blues, a few sea trout, and one smallish blacktip..... Mostly skates though. I always love seeing people jumping up and down when one is flopping around on the pier, mistakingly thinking it is a stingray, ha ha ha. Seems like there isn't much to catch from the surf there or at least not as much as what some old timers I knew had spoken of to me. I did have the pleasure of getting onto some stout Amberjack offshore a few times, which is like playing tug-o-war with a submarine, but never have I managed to catch anything of any size from the surf.

Best of luck in your future trips, looks like lots of fun!

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:23 am

Brian
OBX is one the premere surf fishing spots along the east coast. In a single day you can easily catch a half dozen different species of fish from the old lighthouse down to the hook. I'm not sure of your technique or equipment but there are big fish to be had, as you can see from J's pictures.

The jetty at the old lighthouse with some sand fleas can produce, flounder, black drum, sheepshead just to name a few..

Hop on the red drum tackle website the forum with daily reports has plenty of good information.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Yes, I know that game. Lots of fun and excitement! I knew an old guy named Mendenal who used get paid to catch 'em off the beaches and whack 'em.
I don't need to tell you, but for those who might want to try it for the first time, be really, really careful. Especially in the shallows or when you think they are whipped and totally out of gas.
Thanks for the post and photos.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:39 pm

J
I meant to ask you if you paddle the baits out, I imagine your not slinging that 50 wide to far.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm

"The jetty at the old lighthouse with some sand fleas can produce, flounder, black drum, sheepshead just to name a few.."

JR,

I know exactly which Jetty you are talking about. I've always wanted to try my luck there as I've read that fishing around the deeper spots near jettys can be productive. I'm guessing that the areas I'm fishing just aren't the right places. Or, I'm not using the right rigs/baits. I've tried the sand fleas before as it's almost easier to catch them than it is to get sand between your toes, but no luck. I'm guessing that I am just going to have to try closer to the point and brush up on some new tactics. Thanks for the tips!

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby NCsharker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:33 pm

hey guys.

yes we use a kayak to paddle the baits off the beach. you dont realy need to go that far. just to were the sand bar drops off to deep water. wich is usualy only about 200 yrds or so.

like larry said.
if your going to try it please be carefull. its alot of fun but you can get hurt. BAD.

another thing to think about is you dont only need to worry about the teeth. the tail is just as bad. if you take a charged hit to the face by thet tail. you will be in for a realy bad night.

jason
NCsharker

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:19 am

Brian I actualy walk down the concrete wall and drop straight down lots of fun balancing and fishing. Fresh bait is key, last couple trips I've loaded up a cooler with bait from up here because the bait situation in Buxton was so bad. You can't find fresh clam anywhere and the Bunker is usually mushy..

Those sheepshead and smaller black drum are good they can bight the back off a flea right up to the hook.

J 200yd is a good ways off, twice the distance a guy can sling some lead. Do you live on the banks?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby kitemessengerman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 am

Instead of paddling out try a kite messenger. It is a new way and a fun way to fish. The messenger will take your bait out for you and then drop chum right on top of it. You can find it at kitemessenger.com or even see it work on YouTube. Search words kite messenger fishing.
kitemessengerman

Postby WV Musky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

What rod and reel would you recommend for this? I am going to the beach in a couple months and have done it before but it wasn't my gear. I'd love for my brother and me to get into some sharks. thanks.
shawn
WV Musky

Return to Saltwater Questions