First timers in the heat?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

First timers in the heat?

Postby Questor » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

Mr. Dahlberg:

I'm going fishing for four days in August in Florida for some guided back country fishing. My son is coming along and he is not used to the heat and humidity. Can you recommend some good tips for helping a native Minnesotan acclimate to heat so this doesn't turn into the Bataan Death March for him?

This is a pivotal trip for him because he's growing up and needs to demonstrate some stamina in trips like this. I used to make our trips easier but now I want him to try fishing the way I do it. If he doesn't like it, then we'll scale it back in the future.

Thanks.
Questor

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon May 07, 2007 3:15 pm

August is our toughest month. Humidity is at its highest, temps too. Number one is water and tons of it. Take a tip from the local migrant workers and wear a long cotton white dress shirt. The shirt gets wet with sweat and cools you off. It really works. Do not wear a t-shirt with it, it has to touch your skin. Hats with those hanging curtains down the back of the neck make you hot, it better to have a brimmed hat like a Columbia boney hat or a basic bucket hat.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 am

Henry:

Thank you very much for the good ideas.

Do you have any opinion on Gatorade vs. water as a hot weather drink? I find Gatorade more quenching and refreshing than water, even when it's warm. Others prefer water.
Questor

Postby Npike » Tue May 08, 2007 1:14 pm

I totally agree with Henry. I would add soaking a towel in cool water and wrap it around his neck. Lots of blood passes through the neck and the wet towel acts like a radiator.

My first trip in really hot conditions was to the Southern Yucatan during August. I fished inland, brackish water lakes for tarpon. Not much if any wind got through the mangroves and the combination of nylon long pants, long sleeve shirt, keeping hydrated and a wet towel saved the trip.

I'm sure Larry will have some great ideas as well.
Npike

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue May 08, 2007 2:35 pm

Our local county government issues its road workers some kind of gel neck band. You freeze it overnight and wrap it around your neck like a bandana and it keeps you cool for many hours. Many local guides wear the flats balclava (not sure about that spelling). I found it made me hot, keeping air away from my skin. A brimed hat is better.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm

Henry:

We used the Columbia Tamiami shirts and matching long pants. Wonderful! My son and I were comfortable on the trip. These are great clothes. These things are a de facto uniform among the saltwater guides.

By the way, I saw that your location is Englewood. We passed by Englewood and I didn't even recognize the area. It's like one big strip mall all the way from Naples to Ft. Myers. Hopefully your lifestyle isn't too compromised with all the development. Last time I saw it was around 1988.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions