spook

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

spook

Postby albacore00 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Larry,
saw your great show on stripers and fishing with top water spooks and walking the dog. I see you sell lure molding kits. any ideas on molding a light weight foam body for the flyrod that you can walk the dog. we use those big white dildo lures hookless to tease the stripers up. just trying to figure out a way to make something work for the flyrod. thanks.
albacore00

Re: spook

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi A
I hear you and have felt your pain. Occasionally lure design concepts and fly designs can be transposed, but in the case of a walk the dog type lure I'm afraid it's almost impossible.
In my opinion, what make a fly a fly is that it can be cast comfortably with a fly rod and without danger of impaling the caster. In addition, I insist that my flies actually be fun to cast, not lots of work.
The lure thing is all about specific gravity, center of gravity, balance, and a myriad of other variables, most of which simply do not lend themselves to being adapted into flies that fit the criterion above due to weight restrictions.
I have seen many flies that claim to do that, but they are horrible to cast. Rather than go for a hard to cast fly that does a poor job of actually zig zagging, I would go for a good bubble chain and speed.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby CodyL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:53 am

I was looking through a fly mag today. Saw something called "Bisharat's pole dancer." Supposedly walks the dog. Uses back pressure to work instead of specific gravity. From my understanding the head design makes it plane right or left like a water ski. There is a video of it on you tube. Probably a pain to cast but worth a look.

Cody
CodyL

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 am

Like I said.....
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby CodyL » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Speaking of making castable flies, what length of rabbit strip is your max before you'll switch to a synthetic hair? I feel like I'm making mine wrong b/c every strip fly I make feels like I'm casting a wet pomeranian. Also wondering if there will be any flyfishing episodes of the HFBF in the future. Have a good one.

Cody
CodyL

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 am

Hi C
Believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about. The problem can be mitigated somewhat by cutting your strips so they are tapered; starting out at about a quarter of an inch wide or a little less and come to a point at the tail. Make sure the grain of the fur is parallel to the center line of the tail strip.
That being said, if the tails get much more than 5" they create more wind resistance than I'm willing to tolerate. It is in fact, the reason I invented Big Fly Fiber.
hope this helps.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions