Wide Glide

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Wide Glide

Postby Driftboat Greg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Larry, I just picked up a Wide Glide 200 Subsurface for ocean stripers and would like to know what's the best way to fish it? Should I use mono or braid ? Also, any tips on working it? Great looking lure by the way!....Thanks, Greg.
Driftboat Greg

Re: Wide Glide

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 am

First, cut off feathers. Second, use braid. I'd suggest 65 lb minimum. Short, sharp popping jerk followed quickly and immediately with slack. for widest glide you have to give it both slack, and time to glide.
For stripers toss it a mile, work it really fast for twenty feet then do a whoosh,...whoosh.. wide slow side to side a few times, letting it hang for a second after it stops, then resume fast zig zag for another twenty feet or so, then repeat!
It takes some practice to really get it zinging side to side, but it's worth the effort. I like to get it up just under the surface so it makes a boils and whooshing sound when it zigs back in the opposite direction. Depending on your leader and technique, the zigs and zags so radically, almost 180 degrees, the leader can get caught in the rear hook occasionally. If that happens, I just hold up my tip and give it a few short sharp shakes and it usually comes free. Interestingly, an unusually high number of bites also come after this happens.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Driftboat Greg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks much Larry.
Driftboat Greg

Postby Bionic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Larry I picked up a couple of the small wide glides when I was down at Cesar's. I just got to throwing them and they weren't gliding that good and now I see that you suggest cutting the feathers off. Is that the trick?

Scott

P.S. Did you fish with Sasha in the tournament?
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to Saltwater Questions