lookin for a new fish in the bay

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

lookin for a new fish in the bay

Postby lilboatbigfishhunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 am

hi larry - first off - wow - ur an inspiration -
i to hunt for big fish , both fresh and saltwater ive been fishin since i was tied to my dads waders . any ways i have been catching large numbers of croaker and flounder in the chincoteague side of the bay out of a lil golf resort where my mother owns a beach house - the neighborhood known as captains cove . ive been able to catch monster sand sharks -(monsters to me ne ways) but ive seen loads of sea trout and small blue fish - i was wondering if u have any tips on fishing for schooly blues or the sea trout at night - ive read loads of forums on where when and how - i was jus seekin expert advice . another target species to me is the red drum , black drum , and ive been noticing schools of large fish on my depth finder in may and june that are suspended jus three and four feet deep = they seem to bite at nothing i throw and i have no clue what they are - my max fishing depth in the little channel i fish is about 7 feet . i was wondering if u could take a look at the accomack virgina area of chincoteague bay just off captains cove and tell me what ya think as far as species and tactics - i like to use the noaa depth charts to plot my course prior to venturing out = any feedback at all is greatly appreciated - thanks for bein a role model and an up standing fisherman with a conservation minded approach - thanks again 20 yo chris
lilboatbigfishhunter

Re: lookin for a new fish in the bay

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 pm

The key to the trout is stealth, we have a species of trout we call weakfish here in NJ which I have caught up to 7-8lbs. They can grow up to 12lb+ though. But as soon as the boat traffic starts the bite shuts off. What you want to target in that area is Cobia and big Brown or Sand Tigers late july. I don't know if the drum are as big as the ones we get here which are 60+ lb. The blues are a schooling fish and within the school are all pretty much the same size, you want big oil cans you need to run offshore to the lumps and troll ponytails or strech's and once you find'em start jigging.

If you dont have a boat I would walk the banks at night with a 1/4-1/2oz jig with a pink Finn-S, you will catch anything around on that
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby lilboatbigfishhunter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:45 pm

thanks so much - i have been catching the sharks on cut fish bait readily - i heard of the cobia fishing towards the inlet and cbbt ill have to give it a shot - nd really good blue fish info any time ive hooked up has been in an oil slick - the trout i think im gonna try for at night maybe on fly rod and reel- but as far as the drum go ive seen huge ones i jus never can seem to locate and catch them - i have a boat but it doesnt do good when its rough cuz its a painful jarring wet ride but my pal has a trophy walkaround tht suits nicely - ill have to give a try to ur advice - thanks greatly for responding
with angling re guards , chris
lilboatbigfishhunter

Postby JRisapirate » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Glad to help, when you try for the trout a method that works here is to use a 1/2 jig head or smaller with that pink finn-s or white bucktail but tie a teaser directly to the main line about 1.5-3ft up from the jig, always smaller than the jig itself freshwater flies work but anything Pink or white. This works great for flounder to. The key to big drum is fresh surf clam, you can catch them off the sod banks when the dogwoods start to bloom. But look for a nice shallow lump or and oyster bed, you'll find them or HEAR'em. Don't chum like you would for stripers just brings in stuff you dont want when youre drummin. Cbbt is that the bridge tunnel? And if it came down to a jaring wet ride or not catching fish, Id sit on a nice cushin and wear my raingear. Sometimes I prefer my small Gheenoe to the big boat, love the looks I get crossing the bay on my was to the shallows.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Return to Saltwater Questions