Tarpon on the Rio Dulce River

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Tarpon on the Rio Dulce River

Postby Aaron Goldsteen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Hey Larry
I am a huge fan of your show and have been watching ever since i have gotten into the sport of fishing. Not too long ago my dad and his best friend chipped in to build a vacation home on the Rio Dulce river in Guatemala. I have been down there a few times already and have caught only small fish such as chiclids and lizard fish, but the river is home to monster snook, up to 40", and tarpon, most in the 150lb range. i have never hooked a tarpon before and would love to give it a shot. i know that the locals fish for them with hand lines with eels for bait, but i would like to give lures a shot and maybe even the fly rod.I saw the show that you did in Colombia and Guatemala isn't that far away. i was wondering if you could give me some advice that would lead to my first tarpon? I need to know what type of areas to look for on the river and what depths to locate tarpon. i also need to know what type of baits to cast/troll, and any other info that would be helpful. my dad and i were also thinking about introducing the locals to guiding and catch and release. they usually keep the fish and sell it and don't make much off of it. if they did guided trips with tourists they would be making much more money. this would improve the economy down there and the fishery. Any advice on river tarpon would be extremely helpful. thanks
Aaron Goldsteen

Re: Tarpon on the Rio Dulce River

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 am

Hi A
I'm fairly familiar. A friend of mine checked it out several years ago with the idea of a tarpon camp in mind.
Depending on where they set up (top to bottom) and level of activity there are many methods that work.
Vertical jigging spoons in deeper water. Casting and free falling spoons to rolling pods. Casting and slow retrieving wide glides to fish holding high or rolling, live bait such as mullet, sardines or crabs or shrimp on circle hook, trolling minnow lures at different depths, sometimes even poppers or spook like baits are good!
Gotta see and read the fish to know, and it changes from day to day or even hour to hour and minute to minute with tarpon in the type of environment you are describing!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions