shell squid fabrication

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

shell squid fabrication

Postby andrewd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:33 pm

i recently started building my own spreader bars/daisy chains etc.--i do a lot of tuna fishing and would rather not pay 80 dollars for a spreader bar i can make in a half hour. but i was wondering if you have done or have any ideas about fabricating your own shell squid. thanks

andrew
andrewd

Re: shell squid fabrication

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am

Actually, I'd not given it much thought, but if you tell me exactly what you are trying to accomplish and what the most common problems are I'll see what I can come up with to get you heading in a productive direction.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:37 am

My first thought is to use a tube bait mold because the squid are essentially tube baits. Since it may not be possible to find one in the 8 to 12 inch size you are likely to need, it may be worth buying a small mold and reverse engineering it for the larger bait. That should work, but the baits could be expensive because of the amount of plastic needed. Plan B might be to buy cheap plastic worms, then add the impression of bulk by tying on fish hair and flashabou. Depending on availability of squid in your area, using real squid might be the most economical and effective approach.

http://www.lurecraft.com/catalog.cfm/mo ... 5x836:1931
Questor

Postby Questor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 am

Another option might be to buy about a dozen spoons from Netcraft. They sell spoons that don't have hooks on them, and the cost is much lower than buying other spoons. It seems to me there are many options, almost none of which are direct replacements for the commercial plastic squid.

I routinely add bucktail to the hook of a 3.5" spoon to give it a total length of about 8". That spoon and bucktail combination might be a good choice. I'd try that first.
Questor

Postby Terry G. » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:40 pm

take a look at these , might be cheaper.
http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=129
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Return to Saltwater Questions