Enjoyed your show

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Enjoyed your show

Postby airdrop » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:35 pm

today on Striper Bass fishing in the Alantic northeast, with your friend. I live near a inland lake that has Stripers would the lures and methods work here as well. What was the time of year you were fishing to as that says alot to action :). Looking forward to the next show thanks. Monty
airdrop

Re: Enjoyed your show

Postby rubber eel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Watched it online. Enjoyed seeing familiar waters. That time of light, we kayakers would be coming in from the nite bite. Powered by fish ... Big Fish. :D
rubber eel

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:41 am

Hey guys, thanks for the posts.

I was fishing with Patrick and Andrew during the first week of June. The methods we were using usually work on the many different species that live in open water schools. Super long casts, fast speeds, erratic, non-mechanical retrieves with sexy lures in the right place and at the right time!
Honestly, we only fished a couple of days and we were catching so many fish I could not keep track of the numbers. We didn't catch any super giants, but I think had the visibility been better we would've been able to take the lures away from some of the smaller fish and selectively cast to the larger ones. According to Andrew the largest fish had not yet arrived, but in honesty, I really have no idea about the specifics of that area since it's the first time I've been there and didn't spend enough time to make the observations necessary to get much of a feel for the environmental options.
Judging by the comparative success we had versus that of the other anglers in the same area at the same time, it would appear we did gain some insight into what trips their trigger however.
I'm hoping to make stripers a more regular part of my fishing regimen.

The reference from "rubber eel" regarding to "we kayakers" confuses me a little. I thought a fisherman was a fisherman. Are you still a kayaker when you fish from shore or a boat? I'm a little touchy on the subject of what I call "weenies". My definition of a weenie is any fisherman who looks at the world through a soda straw and thinks his soda straw is somehow better than others. Don't get me wrong, I think kayaks are great tools and so are float tubes, kick boats, waders, john boats, bass boats, bay boats and big game boats. But, they are simply tools. THe world of angling is like a giant sphere with a billion keyholes in it. In order to get more than a 2 dimensional view you need to look through as many keyholes as your lifetime allows.
Getting back to weenies, and my allergy to them, I actually had another angler, who also referred to himself as a kayaker (maybe that's why I'm sensitive) try to tell me he could land a large fish from a kayak much faster than I could if I was fishing from a boat. I'm not a betting man or a gambler, but I offered to bet him my house, boats, guitar collection and retirement account against anything he wanted to put up of equal value. He didn't take the bet, but it's still on.
Now if he'd have said he can be sneakier, or possibly have a more peaceful and unique experience in his kayak than in a boat I'd totally agree with him, and maybe even take him out of the weenie category!
3 cheers for stripers, and may you all have a great 2011 in all aspects of your lives, and not have to fish with any weenies!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby airdrop » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Wanted to thank Versus for changing your show to a better time for this year. Man I missed to many before lol.
airdrop

Postby emanon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Best striper shows i have ever seen! and man, were you in them...the trolling idiots that spooked the fish are known locally as steamroller joes and are too prolific to even try to convince to do otherwise, your guide was on it to move and put you on more fish, and honestly, he is one heck of a good guide to put you right back on fish....they are not ussually that easy to find like that at least around here........glad you loved it, c'mon down to cape may in the fall, you'll have a blast! Thanks again for those shows Larry....you have me real fired up for the spring
emanon

Re: Enjoyed your second show

Postby airdrop » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:59 pm

could you please list the type of lures an sizes in use during fliming. I've looked up Patricks web site an was surprized at the number of lures he has produced. Looks like he came out of the chute with a smile on his face and a fishing rod in his hand LOL.
airdrop

Postby Terry G. » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:53 am

yep, really enjoyed the last stripper show, hahah every time you guys would cast my wife would duck like she might be afraid of getting slapped in the head with one of the lures ya were tossin.

some how i missed the guys web address could yo post it?

enjoyed the show, just wish verses would post dates and times of the shows like the use to do instead of making ya page forward ever time
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby rubber eel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 am

OK, well ...

Everyone can have a bad day.
Everyone can have a bad day fishing.
Now, I see everyone can have a bad day talking about fishing.

With that said, I hope everyone have a good 2011 and ...

Mr Dahlberg, ...

Good luck with that.
rubber eel

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Dear rubber eel,
Thanks for your post. Not sure what you are meaning to say. This is a forum where ideas/ thoughts/ questions/ varying answers/differing opinions can be shared. Please feel free to do so.
Respectfully,
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby OTF » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for a mind blowing striper show. Unfourtunatly, all those fishing thoughts and ideas I had tried to repress for the winter months have sudenly come to the fore-front again. I can't wait to get out and its only January. It is going to be a long couple of months.
OTF

Postby Bucktail » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm

Another great show yesterday! I figured it had to be early spring, because you were catching all those stripers on top without a single bluefish in the mix.
Bucktail

Postby dsully » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Larry, this my first post to your site, first off let me say, I find your show to be the most entertaining on TV by far! Love your approach to fishing, its awesome! Anyway Im up in CT and was so stoked to see you get on salt Stripers, that type of bite can be an absolute blast! Early season it can be non stop action on bass to 20#s on spinning gear! Ill take those days when the action is hot on say 15#+ fish on the Spin all the time over say a day with only 4 or 5 bigger fish using conventional gear fishing eels and 3 ways, etc.
I will def. be throwin that Sebile swimbait this Spring!! God please speed up TIME!!! May cant come quick enough! And i might just have to pick up a Curado b/c that reel killed those fish, curious how the drag faired against them? Im sure it was more than enough!
Anyway, keep up the good work hope you liked the Stripers!

Sully
CT

1992 Mako 211
dsully

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:36 am

I think us kayakers, at least down here in s.w. fl. do think of ourselves as a group. Motorboaters here, being 'retired' or some how relocated from all over, are typically rude and dangerous. They also are very elitist and look down their noses at paddlers. So many close calls can certainly make you biased towards others. Here guides threaten recreational anglers with violence and demand that they own local waters for their right to make money.
Henry Schmidt

Postby dsully » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 am

I fish a lot of big soft plastics, I was curious to see how Mr. Wiglly would have done with those Stripers! That bait would kill those fish for sure! Im working on molding some now...
Sully
dsully

Postby dsully » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Oops I didnt finish watching the episode on my DVR, LOL the Mr Wiggly killed UM!! haha! Great stuff!
dsully

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Larry I can't beleive that it took you almost 80years to finally fish for striped bass... Just kidding about your age.. Was that your Parker or the guides? What electronics did he have on the boat?

It is truely amazing how many different lures these fish will eat, they are slobs. While i have caught some 40+/40 stripers trolling strech 25's and bunker spoons the majority of my big ones have been caught on live eels in the inlet, jigging, snagging and dropping bunker off the beach and chunking in the Deleware bay.. The snag and drop is the most exciting with the bass busting through schools of bunker only 100yd off the beach, something I recomend you try if you ever get the chance. My goal the last few seasons has been to land a 50/50. 50+ inches and over 50 pounds. I had one on last year that popped lose right next to the boat that would of been close.

Anyway it's nice to see your episodes running again, Spring is right around the corner.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Giant Tuna » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Larry:

Fished many times on the Cape for Stripers. It's a pretty special place. Very much enjoyed this show.

Would you give me the specific size you were using of the Sebile "Magic Swimmer" with the Red Head? I am not sure how many there are.

I was surprised this was your first trip for Saltwater Stripers. Glad to hear it's not your last. They are a very special fish.

Thanks.

GT
Giant Tuna

Postby Estimator » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Larry

Great show

I was watching an episode when you were top water fishing for bass up in cape cod. I fish Montauk Point NY and would like to know the lures you used with size if possible and if you know where I can purchase them.

I apoligize if this question was asked before but I am new member

Thanks
Anthony
Estimator

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:49 am

river2sea wide glide, subsurface largest size. sebile stick shad, splasher and and magic swimmer, again, largest sizes available.
also homemade soft plastic I call mr whiggley.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions