Terez Popper Rods for Tuna

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Terez Popper Rods for Tuna

Postby Bucktail » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:51 am

Hi Larry,

I just found your site and it's great! I love your show and I'm excited to be on here.

After doing a lot of inshore fishing over the years I've just gotten into the offshore tuna scene, having jigged up my first bluefin last year. I just got a new jigging outfit which consists of a Star Plasma XH rod and Trinidad 40N with 65 Power Pro. Now I'd like to get a rod and reel to throw poppers, spooks, gliders and soft plastics. Sizes would be from 2 1/2 to 5 oz. I'm looking into getting the Terez 7'8" XH and matching it to a Saragosa 18000 (can't afford a Stella) with 65 or 80 Power Pro.

What are your impressions of this combo and that Terez rod? I've heard others say the Teramar is another option in the Shimano line. Any advice for me on this?

Thanks,
Bob
Bucktail

Re: Terez Popper Rods for Tuna

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:29 am

Hi B
Congrats on the first jigged tuna. Bet you love that big Trinidad. Gotta warn you, topwater tuna are like heroin!
You cannot really go wrong with either of those two rods. I've been a huge fan of the Teremar series and use them extensively when I travel and also at home for muskies. They are not the lightest rods every made, but they're not too heavy either, and they are tough as nails and a great value.
The Terez series, as a whole, have a bit more progressive tapers with more gradual transitions in their tapers to the eventual "hold out" points in the butt sections which makes them really smooth in terms of casting. I've not fished them as much as the Teremars, but I've got a full set of them and have tested the heavy and extra heavy versions in both spin and conventional and they perform nicely. Since they come in several different colors you can get one to match your socks, bow tie, boat, or underwear if you wish. (I chose light green!)
I thing either of them matched with a SAragosa will work great.
Welcome to the forum, and have a great 2010!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Terez Popper Rods for Tuna

Postby Bucktail » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks for the advice. I will bend a few at one of the upcoming shows before I make up my mind. As far as colors, I sure wish they made one in dark blue or black. I will surely stand out with one of those! :lol:
Bucktail

Return to Saltwater Questions