question for larry or Bantam1 or other shimano savvy people

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

question for larry or Bantam1 or other shimano savvy people

Postby salmonneed help » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 pm

How would you say the caenan low profile reel will hold up as a mainly salt water reel? i wash my reels out after a days use in salt water and id be spooling it with 20lb braid powerpro or maybe i'l check out samuri stuff. the species id be targeting are halibut, striped bass, surf perch and some occasional bass fishing in the california delta. the price point got me turned on to this reel and if it is tough enough i don't see any reason to buy a more expensive baitcaster thats advertised as a inshore or coastal purposed reel.
salmonneed help

Re: question for larry or Bantam1 or other shimano savvy people

Postby Bantam1 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 am

The reel is approved for use in saltwater. I actually did some field testing in the prototype stages in saltwater here in CA. I did not have any issues. However, as with any reel used in saltwater lack of maintenance can be the killer. As long as you take care of your equipment it will last for many years. It might be a little underpowered for big stripers or larger halibut. For the school size stripers that run on the delta it should be perfect.
Bantam1

Re: question for larry or Bantam1 or other shimano savvy people

Postby salmonneed help » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 am

i'm pretty good about rinsing my gear off after fishing in salt. when i get into the shop, after Christmas and after the annual family ski trip, i'l check it out and talk to those guys about it for the fish i'll be targeting. i would think its going to hold up fine, i'm just throwing 1/4oz up to 1oz average striper lures from shore around the san mateo up to south san Francisco shorelines in the bay, and i'l use it for surf perch to but that shouldnt stress the reel at all.
salmonneed help

Return to Saltwater Questions