Shore Fishing - Costa Rica

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Shore Fishing - Costa Rica

Postby jhillman17 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:28 am

Anyone ever tried fishing from shore in Costa Rica? Specifically the Guanacaste (NW) region? I'm going down for a week for a wedding in February and was going to take my travel rod and a few lures. We are staying in the Flamingo Beach area, it looks good on google maps, lots of rocks... but not sure if its just too populated to waste my time with as im not sure how much free time I will have.

If anyone has any information/suggestions on the area, I can't find much at all online. Also, what types of lures would be good to throw from shore?
jhillman17

Re: Shore Fishing - Costa Rica

Postby Justin C » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:05 pm

its not great shore fishing in that area but always worth a try - roosterfish can be had, I like a "bone" colored WTD topwater 4-5" ...good luck
Justin C

Postby dahlberg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:35 am

Actually, I've fished almost every river mouth on both sides of CR. Most are somewhat "toasted" by the people who live there, but top water stuff you can cast a mile, and jigs are usually the best. Be sure to check the tide charts and do your fishing an hour on each side of the high tide.
You might find Roosters, jacks, maybe even a snook.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby box » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 pm

A few years ago my father-in-law took me to Rio Parismina and we fished the river some but spent most of our time in the ocean fishing "near shore" and we did pretty well on Tarpon. That said, I had a few oppotrunities to wander the shoreline with some locals looking for sea turtles, and the village of Parismina feeds a large portion of the town with fish they catch from shore and also from where the river dumps into the ocean. Its not the most accessible place but I would guess similar river mouths could be good.
-erik
box

Postby dahlberg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Actually, the dynamic in the rivers on the east coast are very different than those on the west. This is partly due to the differences in physical layout; the east coast has "non-draining", fairly extensive lagoons systems and very few rocks, the west has lots of rocks and much smaller lagoons, many of which go dry on low tide. But, the big difference is the amount of tide. The west coast can have 12 foot plus tides. The east coast only has a couple of feet. The large tide often means the "fish activity window is shorter but really intense when it happens, and of course has a proportionally large influence on the aquatic life whose pulse is governed by the tide changes.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions