Lake Ponchartrain fishing?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Lake Ponchartrain fishing?

Postby jhillman17 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 am

Had a friend move down there a few months, right on the north shore inbetween hwy 11 and 10 bridges. He's on waterfront and so far he says he's caught a few reds, specks, and black drum just fishing from his dock. I'm going to visit him Nov 11-14th and want to do some fishing... anyone have any pointers as to what tackle to bring and how to target reds and specks? I was just thinking about some jigs/plastics, swimbaits, topwater, and maybe some spinner baits. He does have a small bay boat so we can get out on the lake, but I can't find any info online as to what is biting best this time of year and how to target them.

Oh yeah, i'm from indiana, so not a large amount of saltwater knowledge here... so any and all info is appreciated!
jhillman17

Re: Lake Ponchartrain fishing?

Postby GNO Beast » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:07 pm

http://www.wwltv.com/video?id=105483253&sec=568112

The most sought after species is the speckled trout and this time of year they're in transition from the outside to the inside. Since you'll have access to a boat I'd try fishing the bridges (Causeway, I-10, Hwy 11, you may also want to try the Train Trestle) with your choice of plastic or live bait. In the video you can see the carolina rig we use to fish live bait... also market bait (fresh shrimp) can be fished the same way. If you happen to catch any small croakers or white trout you might want to try cutting them up and fishing them on the bottom as well....fishing this way should land you some reds. The lake is brackish but saltier on the Eastern end where you intend to fish. Since the water is brackish you can catch an array of different species from catfish to sharks.

When it comes to tackle I've always used reels and rods similar to bass tackle except I don't use any made with magnesium. I prefer 6'6" to 7' medium action rods but use medium heavy action rods when targeting black drum and reds. As far as line goes I tend to stick with monofilament around 15lb test adjusting that according to what I'm pursuing. Some people swear by braid...I suggest you use whatever kind of line you have the most confidence in.

One of the most productive artificial baits I've seen is the Gulp! shrimp. You can rig it on a jighead and just allow the water depth and current to dictate what weight to use. Usually for me 1/4oz or 3/8oz is good enough. Just jig it on the bottom around the pilings making multiple casts to each...sometimes you'll catch a fish on the opposite side of a piling you didn't get a bite on.

Ask for advice once you get to Slidell especially if you visit a bait shop (Rigolets Marina is close to where you'll be) so you can find out the most recent information on what's the best location, technique, and particular lure to use for the species you're after.

Listen, have an enjoyable trip and if you have the time come back here and let me know how it went.
GNO Beast

Postby jhillman17 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am

Thanks for the insight and information on what and where. I leave in 2 days, but already shipped a package of tackle and reels down there since I can't carry them on while flying. I shipped pretty much what you said, so hopefully I'll be covered. If not, i'm sure I can find tackle close by. I'll come back and let you know how I did... thanks for the help.
jhillman17

Postby jhillman17 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:20 am

fishing was pretty good, all in all we caught a total of 18 different species during the weekend. We were limited by the wind due to the size of our boat and lack of knowledge of the area. Best fishing was from the dock at night while drinking a few beers. we caught 2 channel cats over 20 lbs, a 40 inch gar, and a 25inch flounder. caught a few stingrays too. all in all a good trip, i'd like to go down after we learn some more about fishing in the area and my friend gets a bigger boat.

on a side note, visited my parents in FL for thanksgiving and caught a 40 inch redfish from shore on cutbait... best fight of my life as I caught it on a 6'6" med-heavy bass rod!
jhillman17

Return to Saltwater Questions