Looking for tough, durable saltwater inshore spinning reel

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Looking for tough, durable saltwater inshore spinning reel

Postby Questor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Drat! I dropped my favorite old Penn spinning reel / St. Croix rod overboard. I loved that outfit and had it for about 15 years.

I replaced the reel with another Penn but I now get a surprising number of tangles when using 15# braid. I don't have that problem with my other reels.

Consequently, I'd like to try another brand of reel for inshore saltwater fishing. Line capacity is about 200 yards of 15# braid. Durability and reliability and a good drag are prime considerations. I know that $100 or just a bit more will buy a good reel so I don't see any sense in spending more than that.

Can you recommend a good reel for me? There are so many models and price points out there it's confusing.

Thanks in advance!
Questor

Re: Looking for tough, durable saltwater inshore spinning reel

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:54 am

If you want one that'll last you another 15 years your gonna need to spend more than that! Ive been looking for the same reel lately. I got a Stradic 2500CI4 last year and was looking forward to getting the 4000 when they came out. But now Im not sure since the 2500's eva foam grip keeps coming off and spare parts are impossible to get. Im having a very bad year with my Shimano's and parts availability. But I cannot find anything else that Im happy with either. I wish a maker similar to fly reel manufacturers would come along an make a timeless reel you could get parts for, for a long time.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:58 am

That's why I have liked the Penn reels. They are built to last and parts are available. If it weren't for the braid problems I've had with it, I'd have no qualms at all. Others have reported an unusual number of tangles when they use this and other recent Penn spinning reels with braid. This applies even to their $200 price point reel.

The one I have is, I think, the 440Ssg. Very nicely built. It's a great fish fighting reel with a great drag and good ergonimics. But that one quirk is just devastating.
Questor

Postby Questor » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am

I think I may have found an answer to the tangle problem. Evidently there's quite a bit of lore about this on the Web, mostly having to do with "wind knots" when using braid with spinning reels. I think I may have overfilled the reel. At least this new reel in question does have visibly more line on it than my other Penn which does not have the tangling problem. I filled this new reel almost completely up. The older reel is filled so it is not quite as full. I'll just pull some of the line off the new reel and see what happens.

I'll be very happy if that solves my problem because I do like the Penn reels a lot for their supreme durability and reliability.
Questor

Postby Henry Schmidt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:46 pm

My style of fishing has changed alot especially lately. I have a den full of top quality upper end reels. They perform great but all are just old enough to not be supported by the manufacturer anymore as far as parts go. I enjoy working on my reels. Now Im looking for simpler more timeless reels. Rods are even worse for me. I cant seem to find any I like. All are too long or have rear grips that are too long to be comfortable to work plugs. Now Im working on making my own rods which seems logical after making my own lures. But I really miss the reels I recall from many years ago like the Penn Z spinners or those tough as nails Quick spinners. I got to say Im enjoying fishing my older Abu C3's alot more now than I did then.
Henry Schmidt

Postby sonny.barile » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:49 pm

I use a Quantum PT Cabo 40 with 20 to 30 pound Power Pro and have no problems. It is smooth as silk. It is all machined and the bail wire is memory metal. It doesnt bend when you clunk it against something. The drag is salt water grade. "Ceramic". When I bought it last year it was $240 but I think they lowered the price to around $200 this year. I cant speak for anyone but me but I ditched my Penn reel for this and havent looked back...............
sonny.barile

Postby Henry Schmidt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 am

I had very bad luck with Quantum. The finish is horrible on the Boca I had and the ceramic drag disks cracked 3 times. Their customer service was the best though, sent replacement each time with no questions and no cost to me.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:13 am

I went to Cabelas near Minneapolis and bought my replacement outfit there. What a spectacular place.

The reel is an Abu Soron STX 40, which was attractive because of its anti-corrosion features. I'll be using the reel in both fresh and salt, so I went with a reel that has gotten good reviews as a saltwater reel. Ask me in five years whether it's any good. It seems like a very well made reel, though. Cost was $130.

The rod is a Cabelas Tourney Trail 7 foot 2-piece 1/4-3/4 ounce model. I was planning on spending more, but these rods seem very nice. Last time I bought a rod with features like that it cost about $150. This one cost $60.

Since the theme was to try brands I had not used before, I am using Fireline Original Fused line with it. It is supposed to be a good choice for jigging, which is a major application for this go-to freshwater outfit and light saltwater outfit.

Wish me luck on this stuff. Now I've got to learn all the idiosyncracies of a new outfit. Hopefully it works out well.
Questor

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 am

Saros 2500F or 3000F for $130.
Bantam1

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 am

Questor, I think I found the spinning eqivalent to my C3's. I picked up a Penn Slammer 260. Tough as nails and surprising well put together considering its made in China. 8 keeper size Snook in the last two mornings and its drag is smooth. With aluminum frame, rotor and sideplate its gonna handle being dragged through the mangroves and under bridges just fine. Best part, a factory warranty center is in the next town with every part I might need. I plan on getting a couple more as my Stradic CI4 sits on the shelf wondering if parts will ever become available.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Bantam1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 am

What parts do you need for your reel? If this is a warranty issue then send the reel in.
Bantam1

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am

The eva foam grip number 13672. It will not stay on the plastic collar or sleeve part number 11411. It slides back and forth leaving a gap behind the red screw cap. Ive been told its not available but I can buy the entire handle assembly.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Bantam1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am

The reel should still be under warranty. Send it in with a copy of your receipt and we will either repair the reel or replace it.
Bantam1

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

Thank you for your reply Bantam. I just hate to send it off for a piece of foam especially when I use it everyday. I might just try a little Zap-a-Gap gel on it. The receipt turned black long ago, but I know it was about a year and two weeks ago that I got it. It was the first one in my town! Can we find out when spare spools will be available for the 2500 CI4 ?
Henry Schmidt

Postby Bantam1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm

We will have the knobs in stock in 1-2 months. We have some spools in stock as of today. Give us a call at 877-577-0600 to order the spool.
Bantam1

Re: Looking for tough, durable saltwater inshore spinning re

Postby waxwingangler » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:25 pm

Bantam1-
Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I love Shimano and Penn like the next angler but I have fallen head over heels for Okuma's Cedros CJ55 and CJ40 spinning reels.
The 55 is paired on the Cedros 7' M jiggin rod (which is a little heavy) loaded with finns rpt 40lb braid with 20lb tatsu top shot about 80'. And the the 40 is on the Blair Wiggins 7.9' M
Flats Blue Signature series rod loaded with 30lb Suffix Ghost 832 braid and 6'-8' tatsu leader. I have not had the 40 out over the reef yet, but it handles all of my fresh water fish with ease.
From reds to bass or catfish. The 55 hauled a nice 15lb hard running Bonito Tuna up out of the wreck only it was nailed by a cuda right at the boat. All I had for the pic was a gasping head. Also
some good size yellow tails from the florida keys. The reels are not very pricey but perform like you would expect a much more expensive reel to perform.
Okuma also has a Cedros baitcaster out now designed for saltwater that looks pretty mean. Im waiting for the Tranx, and I already have the Curado 300EJ and Type J from Japan. So my bait caster
needs are met.
Check it out...You will be a believer

WWA...
waxwingangler

Postby Brad S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:31 pm

sonny.barile wrote:
> I use a Quantum PT Cabo 40 with 20 to 30 pound Power Pro and have no
> problems.

I agree with Sonny. The Cabos are not cheap (still less than $200.00), but I've been using that exact same reel for the past 3 seasons with braid (usually 20 lb Power Pro) ) & a Shimano Trevalla ML 7' rod for striped bass, bluefish & everything else inshore salt water here in Rhode Island. It's been a perfectly matched outfit, & no problems with the braid at all.

With that same combo I've cast everything from 4.5" baby sluggo on a 1/8 oz jig head, to a 2-3 oz spoon, jig or plug (heavier if I choose) plus live eels from my kayak & a friend's boat. The rod & reel have worked beautifully. The reel has a smooth powerful, waterproof drag, unbreakable (magnetic) bail, very corrosion resistant, etc. and that light slim rod has has been a power house in disguise, able to whip everything it connected with.

I sold my older older Penns (ss & ssg series) because of all the problems I had with braided line, but I've heard some of the newer ones do real well with braid.

As far as the Penn reels are concerned, I think Henry Schmidt is right on the money about the Penn Slammer. A man who lives here in R.I. (Peter Vican) this past year caught a striped bass just a couple pounds shy of the world record, & his bass was about 78 lbs (sorry Peter if I'm off a pound or two).

Peter is famous (& modest too, believe it or not) in the New England area for consistently catching huge striped bass (on eels) & has broken the R.I. record more than once that I know of. You can imagine how long the line is of guys wanting to go fishing with him.

Peter & I belong to the largest salt water fishing club in New England (about 6500 affiliated members). I don't know him very well but but I know that nobody catches the number & size striped bass that Peter & his fishing partner Don Smith do.

Anyway, he fishes with a Penn Slammer spinning reel & braided line. I believe it's the Slammer 460, which is not a huge reel by any means, & a light spinning rod. Peter's has been using the same reel for many years (with braid) & has taken litterally hundreds of 30-60 lb striped bass, and he swears by the reels.

Last time I checked they were less than $150.00.
Brad S

Postby waxwingangler » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Interesting facts on the Cabo. Making me want to give them a closer look. I must also agree with you on the Penn Slammer series reels. They are awesome! I, like you sold my Penn though. I wanted to replace it with a Battle or Fierce. But watching and listening to this guy on a party boat rave about the handling, line retrieve, and the smooth drag on his Cedros. Swayed me into giving The Cedros a try. The main thing he was correct about was the drag. Most reels worth their salt "handle" well. But all drags are not smooth and consistant.
As far as rods go. I like the trevala, but the Terez and the Blair Wiggins rods have been my choice for power and light weight. Lake Fork and the Falcon Bucoo rods also have a place on my wall.

WWA
waxwingangler

Postby Seachaser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Two reels that I use a lot are the Shimano Saharas and Stradics. I use them for inshore about 30-40 times a year and just rinse and use.
Seachaser

Postby Brad S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 am

Seachaser wrote:
> Two reels that I use a lot are the Shimano Saharas and Stradics. I use
> them for inshore about 30-40 times a year and just rinse and use.

How many seasons have you been using them? Do you use them with braid? I know Shimano makes some great stuff, just haven't tried their better quality reels yet, can't afford their high end.
Brad S

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:42 am

Well the Penn Slammer didnt turn out to be the answer. Its gears are made out of pot metal and for almost a year, local shops cannot get Penn parts from Pure Fishing the mother company. Besides finding any current made rod to fit it was impossible. They make the Slammer with a reel foot that is thicker than any reel made. It will not fit on virtually any normal Fuji made reel seat. The Shimano CI4 has continued to work but hasnt held up as I expected. Just cosmetic basically, the chromed scratch guards, just doing their job really. But the eva grips have been a nightmare. Ive had to glue them on to their plastic shim. Aggravating since I nurse all my reels like they were made of gold! Nothing I cant live with but I remain disappointed that now some years after being brought to market I cant get certain parts yet. Sadly my closest retail store says he can since dealers are served first. So he says anyway. But to get to the point. Try the new Stradic FJ. It has proven to be a true workhorse since I got it which was as soon as they came out. Exceptionally smooth with the x ship. Very strong and its drag seems to have more range than the CI4. It has really instilled my confidence back in Shimano.
Henry Schmidt

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 pm

For Penn parts check out Scott's Bait and Tackle website www.scottsbt.com , he specializes in Penn. Located in Mystic Island NJ
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Questor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I ended up buying the "salt water" (blue) model of the ABU Garcia Soron spinning reel, and the the Cabelas 3/4oz max Tourney Trail rod of 7 feet. Have been using it for about a year and love this equipment. Even better than my dear departed Penn/St Croix outfit. The great thing about the reel is that I have never had a tangle with braid using this outfit. It's just fabulous. Excellent in salt water. The rod is a little softer than most, which makes it perfect for me because I tend to throw baits from about 1/4oz jigs to bait rigs with sinkers weighing an ounce, plus the weight of the bait. This is a great go-to outfit for inshore fishing the gulf.

By the way, I have a Penn Slammer 560 for my surf outfit, which uses a Penn 9' Torque rod. A decent outfit, but I wish I had bought a different reel. The Slammer has not been that great with braid. I'm using either Power Pro or Sufix on it now, and may try Fire Line Original on it for hopefully improved casting. I get too many tangles with this outfit. Overall the reel is good, and I'll keep it, but I do have regrets. The rod is excellent. Very well made, and excellent casting and fish fighting properties for what I use it for.

If you've got any tips for taming a Slammer for use with braid, please let me know. I'll very much appreciate it.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions