Looking for better top-water dog walking lure

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Looking for better top-water dog walking lure

Postby Questor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:09 pm

I love the Zara Spook as a top water lure, but I often get the hooks tangled in the line. Do you know of a dog-walking lure that minimizes this problem? I've tried several lures designed for the same application, but have never found one that I didn't tangle frequently.

Thanks.
Questor

Re: Looking for better top-water dog walking lure

Postby smarais » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi there,
I have been using the Zara Spook quite a bit this year and last year. I hardy ever have any tangled line. What I normally do is to pinch the spool a bit before the bait hits the water. That it way straightens out by the time it hits the water. I used the regular spook, Super Spook, Junior Super Spook and also the Sway-back Spook. All worked fine without tangles.

Hope it helps a bit.

Stephan Marais
smarais

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 am

The Super Spook Jr. is about all I use and I never have that problem. Are you using braid or a limp mono? A short stiffer leader will help but take away some action. Walkin the dog with braid definitely will cause your problem without a mono leader. On a whim I tried a Sebile walk the dog lure, its name I forget. Works well. It gets torn up too easily after a couple of snook hit it, a gar kills it. Ive also made my own spook jr. using Larrys lure kit. Used a old spook to make the mold and made my own as I wanted ones without rattles.
Henry Schmidt

Postby dahlberg » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:14 am

Henry hit it on the head with the suggestion of a slightly stiffer mono or flouro leader about the same length of the bait. Tie the leader directly to your line (no swivel) and use an open loop knot to the lure.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks, guys! I had not thought of that. I'll give it a try.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions