Bye bye Gulf...

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Bye bye Gulf...

Postby itallushrt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm

A once great fishery is ruined for what may be a full generation. Worse yet NOAA was already deep in Marine spatial planning with restricted fishing forecasted. Opening up closed areas will be harder than ever before.

Very, very sad.
itallushrt

Re: Bye bye Gulf...

Postby Henry Schmidt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Believe me, I've been living on the gulf since 1961. Its been ruined long before now. Run off from 6 billion rich mans golf courses. Scorpion fish in Tampa Bay. Warm water from the 'non existent' global warming has Bonefish being caught as north as Estero Bay and Gasparilla Pass. Red tide four times a year. The massive black dead spot west of Collier County.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Troutfisch716 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Indeed - It's upset me to the point that I can hardly watch any stories about it on the world news. It simply astounds me that with all these minds wrapped around this crisis we are still no closer to a solution than we were on Day 1 of the Spill.

I truly feel for the coastal communities East of the Mississippi and to all the fisherman - recreational and commercial alike - who have to suffer because of this. I live and fish on the Upper Texas Coast and even though some here feel as if we dodged a bullet, we're hardly out of the woods yet and for that reason I'm enjoying every minute I can spare on the water.
Troutfisch716

Postby Henry Schmidt » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:46 pm

It amazes me an entire nation is overwhelmed by a spill which has yet to total to our nations consumption of a day, and totally forgotten the eleven people that died in the initial explosion.
Henry Schmidt

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:33 am

You are so right. I too can no longer watch the debacle. My heart and soul goes out to all the fisherman, both sport fishing and commercial, all the oyster and crab guys, and salt of the earth folks who live down there, and of course to both the families of those and to those who lost their lives as a result of this tragedy.
Words cannot express the sorrow I feel.
I only wish there was something I could do.
Larry
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:44 pm

This is incredibly sad. I just returned from my first Amberjack fishing trip off the coast of NC. It was the first time fishing has ever totally exhausted me. As I sat out there 20 miles offshore watching my good friends being beaten half to death by fish near a US Navy communications tower, the Gulf crept into my mind. I was speechless in thinking that the people of the Gulf may never get to experience this again. Here I was grinning ear to ear, nearly jumping up and down with shaky knees because of excitement over fighting and catching my first truly hard fighting fish ever, and in that moment, I realized just what the people of the gulf were losing. I realized what the people of the gulf were getting screwed out of by yet another scum sucking, bottom feeding, dirtbag fossil fuel company. Another so called great corporate citizen of our world. To be honest, I don't get our justice system. If you commit a murder, you go to jail for life or worse. However, you can blow up an oil rig, kill 11 men, dump hundreds of millions of gallons of oil and toxic dispersants into the water, kill millions upon millions of creatures, destroy an entire ecosystem from top to bottom, Completely deflate a fishing industry that hundreds of thousands of people depend on, and destroy a regions tourism, all from gross negligence, and all in the name of pure profits, then lie in plain sight, and only face fines and maybe, just maybe a lil jail time. I think we know where these corporate dirtbags belong.....

Take care
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Saltwater Questions