Light Line World Record Attempt

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Light Line World Record Attempt

Postby mtbrider » Tue May 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Larry,

I've been earnestly watching your dvd set, particularly the sturgeon episode, to try and get some pointers on the world record that I'm hoping to go after soon. I trying to catch a new 4 to 8 lb test cobia record. I've been out a few times this year already and the fish that I need is readily available at my location. I was planning on using a large spinning reel (Saltiga 6000) loaded up with the test chosen (brand undecided) but I can't figure out what type of rod would be best for this? Another option I was weighing is to use my sustain 5000 and a 6'6 inshore rod. Any tips on what you think could help me out as I try for this record? By the way I love your show. I'm only 23 but I've been watching since I was a little boy and still hope to be able to meet you someday in the future. Thanks for your help.
mtbrider

Re: Light Line World Record Attempt

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 12, 2010 8:27 am

Hi M
I'd use a wind-on leader set up on the sustain with the longest softest rod you have.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mtbrider » Wed May 12, 2010 8:35 am

thanks larry, I'll do a little research into it.

Josh
mtbrider

Postby mtbrider » Wed May 12, 2010 8:55 am

I looked at the wind-on leaders, they are pretty interesting for sure. So you think that this route is better than having a 4-5 ft double line/bimini, and about 10 ft of 50 or 80lb leader?
mtbrider

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 12, 2010 11:41 am

Yes, I think it's better, and I'd bet you will too!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mtbrider » Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 am

Thanks Larry,

It seems like i'll be going with a short bimini to wind-on leader. I hope this one works. I'd really like to get this record.

Josh
mtbrider

Postby JRisapirate » Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 am

What website has a list of the current records? Don't the rods have to be IFGA approved?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Look up the IGFA site. There are minimum lengths for rods, and very stringent requirements regarding the leader length, and of course you line has to be submitted and tested, but you don't have to have your rod certified!
The IGFA site details all of the different requirements for saltwater, flyrod, etc.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mtbrider » Sat May 15, 2010 1:40 pm

All tackle records are viewable at the IGFA site but you need to join to see the line class records. The IGFA regulations are available on the site as well. It is money well spent to join!!
mtbrider

Postby JRisapirate » Mon May 17, 2010 8:09 am

Records that can only be seen by other members isn't much of a record to me... Thats like putting 6 .357 rounds in the X ring at 50yd but if there isn't anyone around to see it, it's not worth a darn..

mtbrider, if you would send me an email with the line class records for bluefish, summer flounder, weakfish and stripers so I can see how close I've come or if its something I'd be interested in pursueing. thanks
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 am

The IGFA record book is published annually and is included with an annual membership. As I recall, membership is about $40.
THe book is in color, about a half inch thick, and contains a few articles as well. It's well done, imo.
The IGFA is a self funded organization and needs revenue to continue it's existence. Since the record book is their main attraction to garner new members, not to mention it would be quite expensive to do an on-line version, I think I can understand why they don't publish the info on the web.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Wed May 26, 2010 6:38 pm

its $40..
IDK, just seems like a lot, I guess more so because things are a little tight
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby mtbrider » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Change of plans I'll be going after the 20lb tippet fly record. Wish me luck i'll be on the water next week with a few fly patterns that are not on the market yet. I hope this will be the first of many world records.
mtbrider

Postby mtbrider » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 am

No luck this time. Largest at 40 lbs which is about half of what I needed. I learned some invaluable lessons thou about fly fishing open water in the wind. Time to chase them in VA.
mtbrider

Return to Saltwater Questions